• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RANGER 4.6 swap

ismellrice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys i know im new here but bare with me. I am the proud owner of a 99 ranger xlt that i have had for 2 months now. I also have an 02 mustang GT with a semi-stock 4.6. I am planning on taking out my 4.6 and swapping it with a 5.4 out of a navigator or expo. That would leave me with a 100k mile perfect condition v8 that would be perfect for the ranger since it takes me about 4 mins to pass someone on the highway:icon_rofl:

As of right now the thing i have seen the most is a 5.0 swap and no 4.6 swaps. Is there a way i can make the 4.6 work? I really would love to have this as a side project after my mustang gets done to have a pretty quick ranger also.

Right now its a 4 banger 2wd automatic. what besides a motor and tranny will i need?

Thanks guys i will post pics later tonight.
i just recently put 17" mustang wheels on it and already have the front belltech springs ready to go to drop it 3" and still need to get something in the rear that way i can drop it this weekend

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Do a search on this forum, there have been a couple people that have done it...you will need engine harness and comp, both EVTMs, and a lot of patience
SVT

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Your '99 4 cyl. 2wd Ranger is perfect for a 4.6 swap. It's still not a bolt-in swap but your Ranger has the most room up front for it (frame is wider than the torsion bar trucks). Check out the sites in my sig for some details of what's involved. Good luck. You'll love your Ranger with a 4.6 in it.

ismellrice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks 281 i will look at those sites...i am really ready for this swap...how many hours did it take you?

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Hours? Try 13 months. But I had a disadvantage, nobody had done a mod motor into a Ranger garage swap before. I was making it all up as I went along. The Minnesota winters slowed me down a little too. If I was to do it again I could do it in alot less time.

ismellrice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
whoa yeah i looked at your pages and it had a lot of info...my question about those motor mounts you made with 1/4 steel...is there a place that sells those or would i have to geta machine shop for that...

here are a few pics of my baby...have had her for 2 months now...i have the 17" mustang gt's on at the moment...will get 1" spacers all around so i can put the center caps on...i already have the 3" belltech springs but nothing for the front...still looking at the best way and cheapest way to do the rear...

the plans right now are the drop, the window tint, and best of all the 4.6 swap...first i gotta find a nice 5.4 to put in the stang...

and the other car...

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Nobody sells anything for this swap. The mounts are pretty easy to make. It might be posible that Mustang, Crown Vic, or F-150 mounts could be used. I never looked into it so I don't really know.

ismellrice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
whats your best time in the 1/4 and 1/8th so far?
im more interested in 1/8th to be honest b/c thats pretty much all we have around my area...

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
I've only had it to the strip once, and that was right after the swap to work the bugs out. With 3.73 gears, no tune, and a dirty fuel filter (one of the bugs) with temps in the mid 90s, it ran 14.23@98mph. Because of the fuel filter the truck would barely accelerate once in drive. An '01 Lightning ran a best of 14.08 on the same day. Now with the 4.10 gears, a tune, and a clean fuel filter, the truck has really woke up. I'd say maybe low 13s just to be on the safe side. I've had guys tell me it should run 12s but I'll have to wait until next year to find out.

I don't remember what it was running in the 1/8th, my time slips are packed away in a box somewhere.

Last edited:

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to wait until next year to find out.

Does this mean it's going to be back on the road?? I noticed on your websites you took it apart, but looks like it stopped there????

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
I disassembled the truck to do a complete frame-off make over of it, then got divorced. So, I put it back together to sell it. Then I got a new girlfreind who likes drag racing and thinks my Ranger is cool as hell. The Ranger is now back on the road, licensed and insured. The plan now is to take it and the girlfreind out to the strip next summer and teach her how to race.

kamshaft

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I disassembled the truck to do a complete frame-off make over of it, then got divorced. So, I put it back together to sell it. Then I got a new girlfreind who likes drag racing and thinks my Ranger is cool as hell. The Ranger is now back on the road, licensed and insured. The plan now is to take it and the girlfreind out to the strip next summer and teach her how to race.
wrong thread but do you have a build thread in here or just cardomain

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wrong thread but do you have a build thread in here or just cardomain
Hey Kam, He is over at RPS also under gregr. Said over there the one site had been pulled but his posting go back to 2004. Might take some looking but he has a lot of pictures of his progress.
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals