• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AR15 Build

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I still want to build an ar15, and after shooting one recently, i want to do it that much more!

but i know NOTHING about ar15 builds, but as many of us-- i want to build it, not buy it...

spread some knowledge on me. anyone here built one before? anyone own one? i know i want to do a semi budget build, but i want a decent trigger

its gonna be awhile before i even start but i'm starting my research NOW so that i can make informed choices when i buy stuff.

the overall theme i want is a simple, effective, fun gun... not decked out with lights everywhere and all.. i want pistol grip, vertical grip, red dot of some sort, 30 round mag, maybe a laser (just b/c lol)... but very simplistic overall.

HELP! :icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue:

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i can't see it...w/out a login.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
please dont take this the wrong way. it is intended to be informitive not to put you down. but why do you want to build one? the fact that you refered to a mag as a clip tells me your not around guns to much. my recomendation would be to buy a desent base model gun, start adding the things you want to it like the scope, and grips. once you have owned it a wile, and know more about it. and what you do and dont like about it. then start the customization of it like the trigger pull.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
right now the low end for DIY is around 680-750 -there is a polymer lower built in HAVASU CITY AZ for 200 then you find an upper for 200 then the guards etc. the cool thing is you can make it as good as you can afford and always upgrade.the AR15 is very forgiving as long as you keep it clean.a majority of the soldiers that complete basic count this as their first weapon,if a bunch of us dumb recuits can figure it out anyone can.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
please dont take this the wrong way. it is intended to be informitive not to put you down. but why do you want to build one? the fact that you refered to a mag as a clip tells me your not around guns to much. my recomendation would be to buy a desent base model gun, start adding the things you want to it like the scope, and grips. once you have owned it a wile, and know more about it. and what you do and dont like about it. then start the customization of it like the trigger pull.
i understand where you're coming from junky, but honestly, you're talking to a southerner. there's is no "why" when it comes to getting a gun, just a "when". plus, the state that america is in right now, having an AR a several thousand rounds of ammo is probably a smart thing.

i've been reaserching this lately as well. i'm going with a bushmaster varmiter personally. i've been talking with a current military sniper on another forum about them for last few weeks. he's had one for 13 years and says it's damn accurate for the price (about $1000 depending on where you look). it's got a 24" heavy barrel on it though. i plan on adding a m4 style upper, maybe something from larue if i can afford it.

google "model 1 sales", for what you wanna do with it, i think one would be fine for you. you can build whatever you want and add upgrades and stuff. then you just need to have it shipped to an FFL. they're the cheapest i've seen and it says everything is made in the USA. reviews arent too bad either.

i have been told to stay away from the DPMS "sportical" stuff and the bushmaster carbon lowers.

another place to check out is Windham Weaponry. a bunch of guys that used to work for bushmaster left and formed their own company. every gun has a lifetime warranty that is able to be transfered from buyer to buyer. the entry level stuff starts around $750. havent seen many reviews on them though.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
and i call an suv a truck... is that a problem to? :thefinger:
but i'll edit it, just for you!!!

i'm around guns all the time, i have all my own crap.. just no AR. nothing like it. my rifles are 30-06 savage 110's, marlin 30-30, several smaller rifles, and several hunting shotguns...

i have no problem w/ buying a base gun.. but from what i've been told i can build one and better parts for cheaper in the long run. but like i said, I'M START RESEARCH RIGHT NOW... I'M NOT BUYING ANYTHING YET. understand?

now that i'm done w/ this, i'm gonna go back and read the other comments that contain informative info.

and no, i didn't take that the wrong way. i understand what your saying, you're nic picking tho... seriously. i'm around guns all the time. i started shooting my 30-30 at 5 years old. started w/ an a-bolt 30-06 at 8ish... was shooting a .357 8.25 inch barrel pistol at about the same age. i load all my own rounds for pistols and rifles... have around 800 30-06 rounds loaded at all times...

now. to the other comments.

Last edited:

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think it depends on what you want to use the rifle for. If your going for target then you might want to build your own. If you just want one to plick with look around and see what kind of deals you can get. You will have to get a lower receiver from a dealer with an FFL unless you buy a blank and machine your own. Then if you know how to adjust the head space you can buy your own barrel but I would look at a complete upper receiver. Then triggers, stocks, sights/optics ( which can get really expensive ), front stock, and I call it a handle. I've heard Midwest usa is good, gun brokers, just google it.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My grandfather (81) grew up around guns, drug an M1 carbine around Japan during the Korean Conflict (won a bunch of marksman awards in basic) and still refers to mags as clips.

Big frickin' deal. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
and i call an suv a truck... is that a problem to? :thefinger:
but i'll edit it, just for you!!!

i'm around guns all the time, i have all my own crap.. just no AR. nothing like it. my rifles are 30-06 savage 110's, marlin 30-30, several smaller rifles, and several hunting shotguns...

i have no problem w/ buying a base gun.. but from what i've been told i can build one and better parts for cheaper in the long run. but like i said, I'M START RESEARCH RIGHT NOW... I'M NOT BUYING ANYTHING YET. understand?

now that i'm done w/ this, i'm gonna go back and read the other comments that contain informative info.

and no, i didn't take that the wrong way. i understand what your saying, you're nic picking tho... seriously. i'm around guns all the time. i started shooting my 30-30 at 5 years old. started w/ an a-bolt 30-06 at 8ish... was shooting a .357 8.25 inch barrel pistol at about the same age. i load all my own rounds for pistols and rifles... have around 800 30-06 rounds loaded at all times...

now. to the other comments.
ok ok, i dont know you, or your back round with guns. i was making a simple observation. i have bunches of people try to act like they know about guns when talking to me cause im know as a gun guy around town and at work. and them refuring to mags as clips is one of the first sighns that they have no idea what they are talking about. and usualy that is just the first sighn. sorry if it seemed like nit picking. ok time to try to give you some info. i own, and am a huge fan of stag arms. right out of the box its a nice gun, and comes with a lifetime warenty. pluss you can pick one up for about $800 to $850. one thing to note the first couple of times you load it the first round may not want to feed all the way. this ends before the brake in is done. had me worryed as hell when i first bought it, but like sead it ends quickly. i bought my upper and my lower seperate to save some $$$$. i got this lower
http://shop.umlautarms.com/Stag-Arms-Tactical-556-cal-Lower-Assembly-STAG-15-LWR-TAC.htm. and this upper
http://shop.umlautarms.com/Stag-Arms-Model-2H-Upper-Assembly-STAG-2H.htm
depending on how many bells and wissles you want to put on it you might want to upgrade to the 2T upper.....
http://shop.umlautarms.com/Stag-Arms-Model-2HT-Upper-Assembly-STAG-2HT.htm. having all thoughs rails will make adding on to it much easery. sence i dont have all thoughs rails ( me thinking i wanted to keep it basic when i bought it) i will be buying these grips so that i can add rails to it.
http://shop.umlautarms.com/Magpul-MOE-Enhanced-Handguard-Carbine-MAG405.htm. then i can add on to it all i want. ok just one more cool thing you can put on them that i find most people have never herd of is the SSAR-15 stock by slide fire solutions. hears a link to see what that is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0BgLk1i9yY
again im sorry if i came off like a jerk, its not the way i intended, and i hope you find this post more usefull.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, i've learned awhile back that you can't go by exactly how people word things.. its hard to assume stuff on forums. so... i stopped doing that awhile back lol.

we'll you're the third person to say stag arms... must mean something
the 2HT has been brought up to me 4 times. so with that upper and lower is like $950, plus FFL on the lower. i'm gonna look locally and see what stores have around here. i believe sportsman warehouse has a few. but i've never looked.. never really wanted to b/c then i know i'd be hooked and want one that much more.

that ssar-15 stock is pretty sweet to...

Last edited:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You cant go wrong with stag...del-ton is less expensive but still good quality. I prefer iron sights, and the bonus to that for me is that they are cheaper than optics. I like to keep my firearms simple and light without adding all the tacticool crap. I dont need 15lbs worth of rails, lights lasers etc up front, they just make a weapon front heavy, but to each their own. Shooting with the beat up training rifles in basic will definately make you appreciate a brand new AR of your own...now if I only had 3 round burst....

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I don't plan on major tactical stuff. Just a simple red dot and maybe a light? I doubt it tho. I'd rather have a small tac light on the pistol for home defense at night. With the simulation shooting I've done I've actually found out I like a separate light not attached for to the pistol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals