• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air bag module

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Where is the air bag module location on a 2000 ford ranger 3.0? The air bags deployed and I have replaced them already, but I want to replace the air bag module with one out of a parts truck. Is it under the cup holders or the passenger side kick panels? Also, where is the air bag sensors? Are they on the radiator support, if so where? Thanks in advance for any answers.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes to cup holders, no to kick panel, yes to rad support.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
update

I found the restraints control module and unplugged it. I unplugged it because I am changing out the radiator support and didn't want to detenate the air bags that I just installed. I am new to this air bag servicing thing. I am not able to find the air bag sensors on the rad support. I was going to replace them and the restraints control module...will that make the air bags fully functional again? I don't want them to accidentally detenate because I did something wrong. If I leave the restraints control module plugged in, will it detenate the new air bags as soon as I put a battery in it, because of the stored crash codes?...or will my airbag light just stay on?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
pics of the core support

Where is the air bag sensors? Sorry for the poor quality pics, I just took them in the dark with my flashlight.

IMG_20160804_205641.jpg

IMG_20160804_205638.jpg

IMG_20160804_205644.jpg

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You won't deploy the airbags like that. The highest risk of accidental deployment by plugging something in is the airbag itself. And despite all the warnings about depowering the system and unplugging the battery and using bomb disarming robots you pretty much have to have the key on while you are plugging it in to even have a minor risk of popping one by accident.

Also, the bags won't go off because a crash code is stored, and if you replace the module there won't be a crash code stored. Any active code in the RCM disables the system completely.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Not behind the hood latch

I didn't see it behind or around the hood latch. But I sure do appreciate your other help. You gave me WAY more info than I found on the web. I appreciate your help, thanks.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know Ford puts the crash sensors on the core support. They do get hidden pretty well to keep them out of the elements. They might be on the back side too.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Update

I drilled the spotwelds and removed the entire core support from my parts truck today. I unplugged everything and had the a/c condenser out and there is not any air bag sensors on it....I didn't see any on the damaged one I removed from the other truck either. Where else would ford have put them on the 2000 ranger? Would they be on the inner fenders somewhere or something?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
This is what I need to look for right?
s-l225.jpg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Update

First I want to apologize for not posting this question in electrical section...I just realized a couple days ago that I need to post this stuff in other categories. Anyways, for everyone reading this, I found out where it is at. A body shop informed me that on a 2000 ranger the air bag sensors are actually inside the restraints control module and that when the truck is shook hard, it signals a deployment of airbags. They also said that once the module triggers, it has to be replaced. I don't know if that info is correct, but that is what the body shop told me. I had assumed it would have air bag sensors on the structure of the truck somewhere, but I guess not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals