• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing ECM question

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
On a 2000 ranger, if you change out the ECM will that mess up the PATS system and make it necessary to get a new key? My computer has been going haywire in my 2000 ranger. I have 3 or them, all 2000, and all 4wd. 1 of them is for parts. I was going to take out the ECM from the parts truck and replace my other faulty one. The issue is my check engine light comes on, then goes off. It keeps saying O2 problems and camshaft position sensor misaligned. Then it has random codes about circuit faults. It will run fine for a little while and then start missing and acting up. If I zero the computer, it works again. Now, my check engine light has completely stayed off, but the symptoms keep happening. I think my ECM is just jacked up. Anyways, will it hurt to swap them out?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Forgot to mention

Also, they are all 3.0L flex fuels, I forgot to mention that. I only have 1 currently running...which is this truck and it is my daily driver. The other truck is wrecked and a fixer upper project. If it runs good, I will probably ditch this truck...it is the one in my pic. It also has tested low compression on a couple cylinders, which I have already discussed on here, and I know that explains misfire codes that I have as well, but I don't see how that would throw the cps codes and the circuit fault codes. Anyways, any advise is much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, all 3 will have PATS, and all 3 will want to "see" their specific PATS key on startup.
2000 Rangers will have separate PATS module and Computer(PCM).

The PATS module and PCM are "married" at the factory, so you can't just swap PCM by itself.
You will need to swap PATS module and PCM.

PATS module is above glove box.

Yes, you will also need to swap out key cylinders, so you can use the key that goes with the PATS module you are swapping in.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
As always, great info Ron. Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals