• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting Issue

TxRanger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 4cyl all manual Ranger. I'm having issues with the starter bogging down. I have a new alternator and the battery read 14v. When starting the starter turns as normal then bogs down, then nothing almost as if it's not getting the power it needs to keep turning. Could this be my starter/solenoid?

Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads more like a cable problem.

Starter/solenoids tend to fail out right, the "click, click, click" or bog down right away.

Battery Starter cable and Main Ground cable can get corrosion inside the insulation, or at the connector "eye" or Battery post.
When you try to start the engine it will draw over 100 amps thru those two cables, cable heats up if there is corrosion and amps drop, so starter bogs down.
Remove and check both cable ends.
Get some tape and a razor knife, slice the insulation at both ends of the cables and peal it back about 2 inches, if you see a whitish substance you will need to get a new cable.
tape cables back up if they look OK.

If cables are OK then you will need a new starter/solenoid

TxRanger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll check that out, thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals