• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Viper alarm systems...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My 96 has what looks like an aftermarket alarm system. I would like to remove it without causing further problems with the wiring and noticed that the previous owner or someone down the line before him had this installed.

It's a bit of a hack job but was working. Only thing I can see that needs to be removed to disable it are the red and yellow wires that were spliced into the harness.

I researched this prior to pulling the dash and managed to disable the stupid alarm by simply pulling out one of the wire clips. I don't want the alarm system at all since prior to disabling it I was blasted several times by sirens bleeps, and other annoying noises...and now I just want to eliminate any unnecessary wiring from the tangled mess under the dash.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The red and yellow (heavy gauge wires) are the ones that are usually cut, and the alarm spliced in. if you find where they were cut and re-attach them in their original configeration ie. yellow to yellow, red to red. That should effectively take the disable part of the alarm out of the equation. The remainder of the wires (light gauge) can then be removed where they are connected into the harness, they're the ones that are connected to things like lights, switches and noise making thingys.

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If it was installed correctly everything should be located in/under the steering column. You shouldn't have to cut any wires at all. Just find the "brain" it will be the plastic box that all the wires are connected to. It could say Viper, DEI, Autopage, just depends on what brand it is. Unplug all the wires connected to it and your done. Just tape the connector with the big wires as that is where the power for the system comes from. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks for the input...when this was installed they had to splice the red and yellow lines and I realize I can just reconnect them...my concern was by removing this device will I still have some chimes or possible computer (CEL) notifications...

I can't really see a way to just remove it without having to splice the original lines (red/yellow) because they didn't use anything that just unclips other than the ones that pull out of the Viper box...

Doesn't the 96 or other years have things like door chimes and door ajar warnings?

Thing is, when I put this all back into my 88 I'm thinking I'm going to get a "something not connected" warning and don't want to have it all back together when that happens...if you know what I mean...

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
To pull the wires you will need to get under the steering column. Trace the wires from the brain and the original installer should have used these little "clips" to tie into the truck wiring. Open those clips and pull the small metal tab out and the wire will no longer be connected. But I will tell you just taping the connectors after you unplug the brain will work. It won't hurt to leave the wires connected to where they are spliced in. Also if it throws a CEL code you have way more issues than you know. The aftermarket system should in no way be connected to the vehicle once it's unhooked.

Here are a few examples of the clips.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
To pull the wires you will need to get under the steering column. Trace the wires from the brain and the original installer should have used these little "clips" to tie into the truck wiring. Open those clips and pull the small metal tab out and the wire will no longer be connected. But I will tell you just taping the connectors after you unplug the brain will work. It won't hurt to leave the wires connected to where they are spliced in. Also if it throws a CEL code you have way more issues than you know. The aftermarket system should in no way be connected to the vehicle once it's unhooked.

Here are a few examples of the clips.

OK, that's good to know thanks!

Getting under the dash shouldn't be too much of a problem now...

I will admit to learning something about removing that dash...it was much easier once I found the bolts holding it to the firewall...

The viper system all came out except the two wires for the power...it was heavily taped with electrical tape and I haven't actually gotten to unraveling that mess yet...and I hope he used spade connectors instead of those plastic snap on ones...they worked OK when I used them for something else on my 88 but I was always worried about them pulling out.

Last edited:

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I see the ground through your floor pan, I would be a little more worried about that. Just saying.

rangerjunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That way too much work just to unhook the alarm. Hahahahaha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I see the ground through your floor pan, I would be a little more worried about that. Just saying.
Ah, it's just a flesh wound...:icon_rofl:

I'm replacing the cab with an 88...well, I'm actually going to put them both in a big blender and see what comes out...

That way too much work just to unhook the alarm. Hahahahaha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
:icon_rofl:

It was...but once I got started cleaning the upholstery I couldn't stop till I saw it shine!

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It was...but once I got started cleaning the upholstery I couldn't stop till I saw it shine!

Even if you polish a turd, isn't it still a turd?!?! LOL!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Even if you polish a turd, isn't it still a turd?!?! LOL!

:icon_rofl:

True, but it would be more like diarrhea...this one will run!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals