• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help please

eflip74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
my 98 ranger 2.5 auto sat for 1 yr. when I started it, the alternator over charged and blew some fuses. I noticed smoke out of the instrument cluster so I got one from the junk yard. The only gauges that worked where the fuel gauge,voltmeter and oil pressure . I replaced the temp sending unit and rear abs sensor. The temp gauge returned but speedometer is still out. also the air bag diagnostic fuse under the hood is blown and immediately blows when replaced. I checked the connector under the drivers seat everything seems good there.could the two be related ? I'm running out of ideas. Does anyone know how to test if the cluster is receiving a signal from the rear? my abs light is not on so it seems to me it should be working.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Not sure about a 98, but my 2000 Rangers speedometer works off the same fuse as the interior dome light and open door/ key in ignition alarm.

eflip74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
THANK YOU ! Just checked the dome light is working. I'll try anything at this point. I might try another cluster from the yard. I would like to try to test the signal to the cluster first. I'm going to study the schematics to try to figure out which pin on which plug powers the speedo.

eflip74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know if I can test at the pcm to see if the signal is reaching it. Seems to be terminals 33 and 58. I'm not the best with electrical diagrams.

eflip74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
Think I have a short or bad ground cause I lost my temp gauge again. Cant imagine sending unit burnt already only 100 mi. or so on it.

eflip74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
Found a broken ground from the blower motor to the head. I repaired that but still no temp or speedo. Plugged in a mac scanner and it reads the temp and speed so I must have a bad cluster I'm guessing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals