• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

prerunner build

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
after building a fun and cappible 2wd ranger its time to step it up, I have just bought a second truck for parts and planning on stripping it to the bare chasis and starting from scratch, the plan is to reuse my 5" procomp lift and my homemade radius arms, fiberglass fenders and boxsides from fiberwerx. The new truck will have a 302, full bumper to bumper roll cage, suspension seats. The new radiator, dual optima batteries and rci fuel cell will all be mounted where the inner box once called home. I am going to build a set of longer I beams from scratch and a better steering setup. My truck is currently on cardomain, just search for jonsyj to view, I have the tallent and the garage to do this build but I need help advice what has worked and failed for you? Let me know where you have gone wrong so I can avoid a costly mistake, and what should I look for in parts to make this build a success, I know this will take alot of time and moneybut the end result will be worth it, so PLEASE, any and all advice is needed

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sounds hi class bet its gonna be verry fun to drive

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
haha basically what i wanna do but im just gonna end up buying long travel (one day) and i think "giantmotorsports.com" sells the brackets for the long travel seperate. i also think they sell the blueprints for stuff. you might wanna check them out

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My only input is EFI and a welded rear.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds just like my build! haha im doin all that too but only doin the 4.0 V6 instead of the 302. might do that down the road though. if you reuse the drop brackets with your extended beams make sure you find some way to brace the bracket from folding back toward the cab. they will bend with all that leverage and a good jump.

What are you doin for rear suspension? I just picked up the Giant 64" leaf spring kit that is suppose to be just as good as a link kit.

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the advice, if you looked at my truck you'll see that i kinda stole the designe for camburg's tranny x-member radius arms and i'm planning on copying their I beams as well, the only difference is im using coil sprinps instead of coilovers. With the right geometry my coils are good for 14" of travel the rear suspension is going to be a rough copy of giant motorsports leafspring kit with some minor differences, I live in newfoundland canada and shipping is very expensive so I tend to build instead of buy and the reward is greater also if it breaks im the only one to blame. I would love to go EFI but its going to have to be a aftermarket setup later down the road. for my rear end im going to rebuild a 9" and cut it to match the width of the front. I have access to a machine shop and a very talent machinist so nothing within budget is out of reach. im planning on stripping my parts truck to the bare chasis this weekend and sending it to the sandblasters, if I can find the time in my very busy schedual

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you looked at my truck you'll see that i kinda stole the designe for camburg's tranny x-member radius arms and i'm planning on copying their I beams as well, the only difference is im using coil sprinps instead of coilovers. With the right geometry my coils are good for 14" of travel the rear suspension is going to be a rough copy of giant motorsports leafspring kit with some minor differences
Oh i was talkin about the beam mount drop brackets, not the radius mounts as the five inch drop on the beam mount drop brackets is alot of leverge where the drop bracket meets the frame and will tend to bend that part of the frame or the bracket itself. Nice plan though! do yo uhave a complete plan on the rear as far as what type leafs you will use, brackets and what not?

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
from that info I will definatly brace the drop brackets, a bent bracket would definatly ruin a good day, my plan for the rear was simple, I am going to build the spring hangers and there is a local spring shop that has a lot of experience with off road applications, i have shown them pics of deaver and giantmotorsports leaf packs, and they are willing to build me a set for $450, i am planning on using bilstein 10" travel shocks with remote resovior, so now that you know my plan how can I improve it?

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
spent 4 hrs in the garage tonight and im down to a chasis with front and rear suspension and a gas tank, I plan to strip the chasis completely tomorrow, pics soon to come

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so the chasis is stripped and ready to be sandblasted next weekend, but the big suprise was that my girlfriend bought me a early christmas gift behind my back, its a 302 and a c6 trans out of a 81 f150 with 112 000 kms(about 70 000 miles). definatly puts her in the lead for the best girlfriend in the world so now that I have all the big parts its time for me to get to work and start building something. finding the time is the only thing stopping me. more updates soon and hope to get some pics up soon

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
man i wish my girlfriend knew motors and such so she could buy me things like that. you got a good one there

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 302 in the front is going to be heavy. You want to move every possible thing to the back of the truck. You may even consider mounting the radiator to the cage in the box as many proffesional offroad trucks are.
What ever you do, don't give up because of a snag, there is a solution.

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
in my first post I said I was putting the radiator, the batteries, and a fuel cell in the rear of the truck, plus I am cutting out the inner fenders and the rad support, the fenders and grill will be attached to the engine cage, I think this will cut down enough weight to even it out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals