• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Bronco II 4x4 AUTO - replace tranny with what

Riehlsasy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone :)

I hope this may be a simple question that someone can answer for me. I have a 1987 Bronco II 4x4 2.9lt with an automatic transmission that I had picked up as a parts car. Everything on it was in pretty good shape it just needed to have the Automatic transmission rebuilt or replaced. I am now done removing what I need and it is still a nice little truck and would like to get it on the road and at least running to sell it.

What transmission is in it? A4LD? What years bronco II or ranger could I find the exact same transmission in so I could literally just unbolt it and stick the other one in to get it running and on the road? Would it need to be a 4x4 or will the transfer case just swap over?

I would really like to get this running so I can sell it for a decent price as its still in pretty nice shape and would make a good build for someone.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Karlie

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The Rangers from 85 until 1994, and Bronco 2's from 85 until 90 when the Bronco 2 was discontinued.

I believe you would need to find one with 4WD in order to get the proper tailpiece on the transmission for the transfer case to bolt to.

I believe you can put a C5 in the place of the A4LD, but I'm not for certain, I'd rather get rid of the A4LD if that is in fact possible, I really don't trust it, and FYI its about $2500 to have the A4LD rebuilt.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A4LD got a bad rap from transmission shops that goofed up rebuilds because they "went to school" on the A4LD as it was probably the FIRST OverDrive transmission they had ever seen, lol.
They would goof up the rebuild and trans would come back and they would blame Ford, or the A4LD or the driver, every one but themselves

Anyway you do need to find a working A4LD from a 2.9l/4.0l 4WD vehicle
As said 1985 to 1994 are the years they were used
Must be 4x4 model, can't be converted
1990-1992(early 1993) A4LD from a 4.0l Ranger 4WD would be a good choice

Read here on A4LD: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.shtml

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
or you could swap a M5OD into it. That's what I did to my '87 BII. Not hard to do and easy to live with. Hardest part is finding the correct clutch pedal/brake pedal assembly. Still has to be a 4x4 trans.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i swapped a tk5 from a 85 b2 and i did the 4.0 swap from a 94 explorer. with the 8.8 inch rear axle swap. that has 4.10s.

what a awesome lil truck this now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals