• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 f150 with efi to carb swap

Broncoman1532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just did the efi to carb swap. everthing went ok, i also redid the heads and everything on the top end. its a 302. the motor runs great while in park. while under a load it chokes andd falls on its face. what should the fuel pressure be at, i have a regulator on it but its maxed out at 5 psi. should i run something bigger or could it be the carb

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
i just did the efi to carb swap. everthing went ok, i also redid the heads and everything on the top end. its a 302. the motor runs great while in park. while under a load it chokes andd falls on its face. what should the fuel pressure be at, i have a regulator on it but its maxed out at 5 psi. should i run something bigger or could it be the carb
Why? Most people would consider this a downgrade.

Did you remove/disable the hi pressure, in tank EFI fuel pump? Carbed and EFI fuel line pressures are dramatically different. I don't think regulating an EFI pump down to carburetor levels would be a good idea.

Broncoman1532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i know alot of people that have done the swap just like that. the reason for the swap was bad heads (cracked) and the upper intake was also cracked. i had a mustang with a fresh top end but the bottom end was locked up. it was easy and cheap to do the swap thats why i went that way. the motor seems to run alot better with the carb, i think the efi stuff was needing replaced, the truck had no get up and go and now it does until it falls on its face. i am sure its a fuel problem just not sure if the carb needs rebuilt or a

bigdaddy4793

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why? Most people would consider this a downgrade.

Did you remove/disable the hi pressure, in tank EFI fuel pump? Carbed and EFI fuel line pressures are dramatically different. I don't think regulating an EFI pump down to carburetor levels would be a good idea.
Downgrade depends on your age and frustration level. I have a transplanted 5.0 in a truck that was a 5.8 and my frustration level is about at max pressure. I'm real close to a carb myself.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Downgrade depends on your age and frustration level.
No, carb is a downgrade.

Automatic is a downgrade.

Festiva is a downgrade.

Daewoo is an even bigger downgrade.

Amputating your pecker and having your middle finger put in its place is a downgrade.

littlezell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Adsm08......well said...... why on earth would you go that route?????

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
bigger regulator needs put on
No, the efi components needs to be replaced, WITH EFI COMPONENTS! You fall off your porch and break your leg. Are you going to cut off your leg and put a tree branch in its place?

SVT

96fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i done this once too put a sending onit out of a carbed truck in with a mechanical pump if you have th eccentric on the cam if not use an electric inline pump

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals