• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Open 8.8 to LS

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Code 91, open 8.8"* 3.27 is on there now,. It's not a high priority, just I'm doing some research and finding that limited slip of this same ratio comes under explorers.

Is it possible to make an open 8.8 into a limited-slip not too expensively?

This is not an area I know my way around. So... my little bit of research tells me it's about the same cost to get a rear end from a yard or to get a locker for the existing.

thoughts?

thanks in advance!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You need a carrier, clutches, and a shim kit. Your pinion depth is already set so all you would need to do is check/reset backlash.

It is probably about the same price to buy a whole axle at the yard, but you would still probably want to replace the clutches. And an Explorer axle would be more work, and more cost, but they are stronger and you can get disc brakes for the rear.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thank you! now if I understand it correctly, it's not even worth getting used "guts" ?

I've been reading with much interest how explorer axles go into Rangers I really like whole idea!

I do wonder about the extra width, is that a problem?
You need a carrier, clutches, and a shim kit. Your pinion depth is already set so all you would need to do is check/reset backlash.

It is probably about the same price to buy a whole axle at the yard, but you would still probably want to replace the clutches. And an Explorer axle would be more work, and more cost, but they are stronger and you can get disc brakes for the rear.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Width is no issue. There are a handful of things you need to do as the Exploder axle has larger tubes and different parking brake and service brake connections.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Width is no issue. There are a handful of things you need to do as the Exploder axle has larger tubes and different parking brake and service brake connections.
Yes I've been reading about the exploder swap out couple years now I just don't know what I'm going to do I'm just investigating the options because I do think I want limited slip on the rear axle I really liked it on my other truck.
Thank you!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thank you! now if I understand it correctly, it's not even worth getting used "guts" ?

I've been reading with much interest how explorer axles go into Rangers I really like whole idea!

I do wonder about the extra width, is that a problem?
Well the carrier isn't a wear item, so you can get that used and be 90% of the way there.

I would replace the clutches since they are a wear item, and the carrier has to be pulled to do them anyway, so do them while it is out.

You will likely need new carrier shims too to correct backlash for the new carrier, but the old ones may get you very close. I'd just get the Yukon build-a-shim kit that lets you make one the size you need.

The width on an Explorer axle is nothing to worry about. I put one in my 87, which has the narrowest track width of any Ranger, and I could still tuck the rear tires until I went to 31x10.50.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
You have a open diff.

Buy an aussie.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you're really tight on money you can add an extra shim or two to the side gears and get a red neck posi. It doesn't last all that long and there is the possibility of grenading the spiders. I've done this on a 9" and a dana 28 front pig. I never had any problems but also didn't put on a whole lot of miles. I will be doing this again soon on an 8.8 explorer rear that I just picked up for my race truck.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Do all that’s mentioned plus Inspect the side bearings on the donor carrier too. Make sure there’s no pitting, discoloration, or odd marks on the bearings or races. If the bearings are questionable replace them (yourself or have someone with access to a press-or do it the way I do using a die grinder a chisel and a BFH).

Also be sure your pinion bearing has no play and that the pinion spins smoothly while you have it all apart.

9/10 times the stock shims will work, but definitely be prepared to buy a shim kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Wow, this quickly got complicated!
Bobby I really like that Aussie Locker solution you offered, and it's affordable too. I think that's probably the route I'll go if and when I ever do.
Thank you everyone for your input!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I love the Aussie in my Ranger (explorer 8.8 though...), not too many drivability issues, forget it's back there sometimes... Has lived through extreme abuse (did a tractor pull, twisted/bent drive shaft, twisted axle tube/broke plug weld and bent a leaf spring) and just plain works...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals