• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bench Bleeding a Master Clutch Cylinder

bernerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
Both are 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Evening guys

Call me a dummy, but for the life of me I can't seem to get the Master Clutch Cylinder bench bled.

I brought this 88 Bronco II that the previouse owner couldn't get the new slave cylinder bled.

This vehicle has the 2.9 is a 4 X 4 with the FM145 trans and onlyl has 92 k listed on the odometer

Started to bled the supposely new slave cylinder and found out the dummy used Tranny fluid instead of Brake Fluid. Needless to say, I have replace the slave cylinder and brought a new hydraulic line and new master clutch
cylinder.

New slave is install and now I am working on the Master. I have never done one of these before I am not young (55) and the old systems I worked on as a young man are not like these newer ones. I am from the days of the old mechanical clutch systems

I have read everything I can find in Ranger station but can't find anything on Bench Bleeding the Master Clutch cylinder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from the Dummy in Michigan

Gene

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Unbolt it from the firewall and point it so the angled section at the bottom is low (it makes sense if you look at it - there's a raised section that traps air sometimes), then run a bleed line from the slave into the reservoir. Cycle the piston until the bleed line purges the air the came out of the master, then close the valve and bolt it all back together.

Your problem is not uncommon - if air gets trapped there, all the traditional bleeding in the world won't get it out. Inverting it solves it in moments.

bernerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
Both are 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advise. I don't have it mounted back in the vehicle yet. I have the res and the master on the table and when I fill with fluid, it dribbles out the hydraulic line connecting point. I don't see how you can plug the hole as the roll pin holes are also there. I pump the cylinder and can see air come out with fluid but once I release the push rod, it has to be sucking air back in.

Do I just let it gravity feed.

I have never done this before.

Gene

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Just take it to the truck and connect the hydraulic line, then bleed it from there. No need to bench bleed it like you're doing.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
This is one of those problems that usually causes people to replace things that they don't need. You wouldn't believe how many times I have sold someone a M5OD and had them come back and tell me the trans is bad because "it won't go into gear unless the engine is off and shifts hard". Every single time I get that I give them advice on bleeding it and then get a reply along the lines of "it worked, thank you". I can't believe that someone wouldn't have come up with a revised/aftermarket master cylinder by now which was engineered to solve the "gravity problem".

bernerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
Both are 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the assistance

Ok it is all said and done and the truck moves and shift with no problem with the tranny.

I got out of bed this morning and said to hell with it and connect the hydraulic line to the master clutch cylinder and bench bled it. Took 3 people but we got it done. Someone said it would feel like pushing on a steel bar and at that point it was bled. They were right.

Took everything out to the truck and installed it. Biggest pain was wiggling the hydraulic line back down to the tranny.

Next was bleeding the slave. I think I used a little of everybody's idea on bleeding. I did take my time and with the help of the little women and the 13 yo boy (keeping the res full) we got the whole system bled in about an hour total time.

This was my first attempt at doing something like this so I am a little geek that it is running again. Now onto the other little problems like the passenger window stuck down (power windows), the auto 4 X 4 has no power. these problems I think I can handle as I have the ranger with the same setup but has an automatic tranny. Going to use the Ranger for any parts

Thanks again for all the assistance and advise

Gene Robinson
Michigan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals