• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about welding bumper to frame

RobinHood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
l am in the process of building my rear bumper. As the foundation, l used a 4x4 piece of angle iron notched with 2" receiver stock for my hitch. l plan to build on that piece, but that info is irrelevant.

My plan is to weld this to the end of the frame, using the angle iron to sit flush on the face and wrap around to the bottom of the frame. Like this: (As if you were viewing it from the side)

L --> [

The "L" will butt right up to the frame (Hopefully this makes sense)

My question is, does anyone see a problem with welding the angle iron to the frame? It wall have three weld contacts where the iron meets the frame and it will act as a extra cross member. But, being that it will be used for some light towing and have two clevis mounts, is welding this to the frame a bad idea?

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't, you are kinda painting yourself into a corner. The truck frame isn't all that thick, and it will be your limiting factor no matter how good your welds are or how thick your bumper is. If at all possible, I would bolt it on.

hick

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't, you are kinda painting yourself into a corner. The truck frame isn't all that thick, and it will be your limiting factor no matter how good your welds are or how thick your bumper is. If at all possible, I would bolt it on.

hick
X2, if ya toast your bumper for some insane reason then you would have to cut it off to replace it instead of just unbolting it

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you weld it gap it it.... i mean that by between the bumper and frame you leave around a 1/2 gap so acutually the bumper never touchs the frame. use a 1/4 inch plate and to connect the 2 together but put the 1/4 plate all the way to the front of your bumper just far enough so the welds dont stick out the front and then weld it attached to the 1/4 plate to the frame with the gap. I only say keep a gap there due to if you hit something HARD enough ie another car hard enough it will bend and distord the metal between the gap leaving your frame hopefully untouched and still straight. Gives it more play in the event of an accident. I did mine that way and got in that accident, and it gives you a place to cut it off.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
if you weld it gap it it.... i mean that by between the bumper and frame you leave around a 1/2 gap so acutually the bumper never touchs the frame. use a 1/4 inch plate and to connect the 2 together but put the 1/4 plate all the way to the front of your bumper just far enough so the welds dont stick out the front and then weld it attached to the 1/4 plate to the frame with the gap. I only say keep a gap there due to if you hit something HARD enough ie another car hard enough it will bend and distord the metal between the gap leaving your frame hopefully untouched and still straight. Gives it more play in the event of an accident. I did mine that way and got in that accident, and it gives you a place to cut it off.
For all that work you could have just drilled 6 3/8"-1/2" holes and been done with it. sheesh.

RobinHood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the input... l just used some existing holes on the frame and drilled a couple more and used some brade 8 hardware. It should be fine.

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i didnt have a drill or dill bit, but i had a welder! :p

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals