• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gear change questions

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
I've got an 8.8 for my 2008 rwd 4 cylinder that I plan on changing gears in and adding new bearings. I've read that if you use Ford racing gears and bearings then you don't need to use a pinion depth gauge and such. Have any of you had any personal experience with this working like Ford says? I plan on putting in either 4.30 or 4.56 and running 245/75r16s. I have a lot of hills and tow my boat a lot so either of those should be better than what I'm running now.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Sorry, you always have to use "pinion depth gauge and such" regardless of which brand gears you use. I have heard of people using the same shims as was taken out but I have never seen that work firsthand.

French-connection

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just did a full rebuild on my rear axle.
I followed the Ford installation instructions and things worked out quite well.
You'll definitely need to set it up taking measurements for backlash and wear pattern (which will determine pinion depth).
My biggest problem was to actually add the shims to preload the carrier bearings. If you can make a final single shim in the correct thickness for each side, it'll save you some headaches.
I'd also say that since you'll change gear size, your previous setup becomes obsolete and you really have to measure everything to avoid any gear whining once the axle is back in action.
There are a couple good videos out there that give good pointers on the rebuild.
One good tip is to grind the ID of the old inner pinion bearing so it slides on the new shaft without press fit. It'll make the task to set and adjust the pinion depth much easier.

Olivier

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
You don't NEED a depth gauge, but it will save some time playing with shims until you get it right. I never used one on mine and I've put a good 30k on it.

Start with the original shim stack and go from there.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The reason you don't "need" the pinion depth gauge with Ford gears (and I do not understand why this tool supposedly doesn't work with aftermarket brands of gears) is that you install the pinion with a "setup bearing" on it, then bolt a tube in place of the carrier, and use a set of feelers to measure the distance between the pinion and the tube. That measurement tells you the shim you need.

It's not that you don't need to take a reading, you just use a different set of tools.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals