• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Load adjusting shocks with rear sway bar.

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Just switched my leaf springs side to side and added the official Ford anti-lean 1/4" spacer under the drivers side leaf spring to level the truck out.

My next project is to refurbish (blast and paint) some 4x4 wheels and lift the truck 1.5" all around. For the back I want to put in some load adjusting shocks, but this is what I noticed while working on the springs...

Doesn't look like much room for a coil-over shock. The existing shocks already rub a bit. Does anybody have any experience with this? Should I just take out the sway bar, or go with helper springs instead? I want the extra stiffness to keep the factory leafs from sagging more and to lift give it for 255/70R15 tires to look not too big.

I also want to avoid pulling off the u-bolts since I bought the expensive Ford ones.

Anybody ever installed these shocks on a ranger with a sway bar?

Monroe 58608 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C59M8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PPFWxb0N9BCQ3

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IIRC the sway bar clamps on the axle tube will rotate, as in they aren't welded to the tube. I would try different positions to see if you can get enough room. If not, remove the sway bar. I've found that air-shocks will stiffen the ride anyway so you may not need the bar.

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, I suppose they can move. Ill see how that works and update. Not sure why they couldn't just put both behind the axle instead of having to design an asymmetrical sway bar...

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

volrath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
On my 94 ranger I just reversed the sway bar so that it faces the back of the truck. It was an older 7.5 Axle sway bar and I also swapped an 8.8 in. But in reverse it mounts the same.

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting. I ended up just using helper springs instead. After reading about the poor quality of the Monroe load adjusting shocks (the actual shock part), I was steered away. The helper springs gave me about an inch on my extended cab. Worked out well, and the ride isn't too bad at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals