• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 2dr to 4dr leaf spring swap

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Anybody have experience with this? I have a 2dr. I'm currently building up and am looking at swapping springs. I put 1" coil spacers in the front, now the rear sits 1.5" low. On top of the height issue, this thing is sprung way to soft IMO. I'm looking to find out how much the ride height and ride itself is affected by this swap.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Don't they use the same springs? Add-a-Leaf might be the answer. If you were closer I could hook you up with a set.

-Jester

Last edited:

MJSBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Dont think the four door springs will do anything for you. But I think I ran across a thread somewhere where mid 80s to mid 90s F-150 with the 2.5" rear leaf spring mite give you what your looking for?

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Don't they use the same springs? Add-a-Leaf might be the answer. If you were closer I could hook you up with a set.

-Jester
They have 1 or 2 more leafs. My 2dr. has only 3 leafs total, 2 main with 1 flat overload leaf that is useless.

Dont think the four door springs will do anything for you. But I think I ran across a thread somewhere where mid 80s to mid 90s F-150 with the 2.5" rear leaf spring mite give you what your looking for?
I wasn't aware an F150 ever came with a 2.5" wide spring, only 3".

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The 4 door has heavier springs but no idea how much lift it'll give you. If your main leaf is OK I'd just get a set of 4 door springs and start adding a few leaves to your current spring pack and try it out, especially since you also want it a little stiffer.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That rear leafs are way different for the 4dr Explorers and 2 dr Sports/Navahos, they will nort directly interchange. No idea what other springs may fit the 2drs but the leaf lengths are shorter than the 4drs so that might mean a hunt in the JY or call to a suspension shop for ideas. I had a set of the 2dr springs laying next to a 4dr pair and saw the difference. Un fortunately I tossed the 2dr springs a while back. Good luck!

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
That rear leafs are way different for the 4dr Explorers and 2 dr Sports/Navahos, they will nort directly interchange. No idea what other springs may fit the 2drs but the leaf lengths are shorter than the 4drs so that might mean a hunt in the JY or call to a suspension shop for ideas. I had a set of the 2dr springs laying next to a 4dr pair and saw the difference. Un fortunately I tossed the 2dr springs a while back. Good luck!
I believe you're wrong on this. 4 dr and 2 dr springs are not the same but they do interchange. The springs you thought were from a 2 dr must have been from something else.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals