• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Scavenging for M50D swap

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
I've been reading all the posts about swapping transmissions and with spring break coming up, I hope to get to the yard and pull everything I'll need. I just have a few questions on compatibility.

If I get the 4.0 liter trans from a 2nd gen ranger, will the pedals and bracket work?

If I get the 4.0 liter trans from an old explorer, will the pedals and bracket work?

Obviously pedals out of a bii will fit, but will they work with the master for the 4.0 trans?

I plan on getting the trans, block plate, clutch hydraulic line, and reservoir from the yard, and buying the rest new. I know I need the slave for the donor truck, but do I get a master for the donor truck and will it fit into my bronco ii's hole? Finally, there is is some disagreement in other threads about the timing/computer. Will the auto computer turn on the check engine light, or will it just throw codes? Why would timing be different, I thought it was 10 degrees on all rangers/bii's?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
when i did the swap on my 1990 ranger, the computer would throw codes occasionally, but they were because the computer couldnt communicate with the shift solenoids, but it didnt cause the timing to do anything differently.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What year is your truck?

Your pedals and bracket are best taken from the same generation vehicle. Looks like you have a second gen, so 89 to 92. When I did the swap I ordered up a master and slave kit for a 91 Ranger. The 1st and 2nd gen masters are the same except for the fitting at the transmission end of the line.

Here is the kit I got, it's a bit spendy, but it's high quality parts, the master is pre-bled (the slave is not), and you get a new line and a decent parts warranty with it too.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_TECHnovation-Clutch-Master-Cylinder,-Slave-Cylinder-and-Line-Assembly-Perfection-Clutch_15070142-P_685_R|GRP60006_1278711888___

EDIT: Hmm, seems my truck info doesn't show up here either. Site issue maybe?

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The pedals will work from any genI or genII ranger or BII. Even a genI Explorer set will fit. I've got genI Ranger pedals in my 94 Ex.

The issues you will have with the auto computer are:

The idle will be higher. IIRC its about 50 rpms.

Computer will turn on the check engine light and throw trans codes.

When decelerating (in neutral) the rpms wont drop as fast with the auto comp.

Thats what I noticed on my 89 when I did the swap. I ran it with the auto computer for a few months, till I swapped out the interior, at that time I swapped in the manual computer. It ran with either computer.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so I need the master for the donor's transmission. I think I read the difference in the line is the first gen doesn't have a quick disconnect, while the 2nd gen is quick disconnect. I if I get the reservoir from the junkyard, and a master and a slave from napa ($151 total) the only thing I wouldn't have is the line, which I can get from the donor truck right? Is there a reason that ones 235 bucks other than its pre-bled?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
New, high quality parts, with a full set.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I did this I got a kit flywheel and everything from napa make sure you know whats in there when the music stopped had two slave cylinders.On the 4.0 there is a difference in the slave 92 to 93 on the hose hook up.

Seems to me I wound up running a master cylinder for the year of vehicle because of the angle of the fire wall and angle of the mount on the master.This was in order to make the rod push properly from the pedals.

My pedal experience was the same as snoranger I have pedals off a 93 Ranger which is third gen isn't it? I have 92 explorer pedal they would have worked as well.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
When I did this I got a kit flywheel and everything from napa make sure you know whats in there when the music stopped had two slave cylinders.On the 4.0 there is a difference in the slave 92 to 93 on the hose hook up.

Seems to me I wound up running a master cylinder for the year of vehicle because of the angle of the fire wall and angle of the mount on the master.This was in order to make the rod push properly from the pedals.

My pedal experience was the same as snoranger I have pedals off a 93 Ranger which is third gen isn't it? I have 92 explorer pedal they would have worked as well.
the change-over was 93. They changed the line and master mount the same year. I found that out on my 94 Ex.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
So if the trans has to come from a truck that is '93+ could I just buy the master for a '92 or older? As long as the clutch line stays with the transmission, the slave end should hook up and the master end wasn't changed right?

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If you get a trans from a 93+, you have two options.

92- master,slave, and line.

-or-

93+ slave and line, 92- master.

I'm using a 93+ master, with a 92- line and slave. No problems.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I thought of that too, I figured the slave should change out if all they changed was the connection, I just figured the other way so I didn't have to pull a line off another truck if I already had it off of the one the trans comes from. Thanks a lot its these little details that can be a bitch when you have your truck torn apart and cant drive to get parts very easy.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The pedals are the same on 1989 through 1994 on ALL RBV's

As for the Trans "woring with other parts" DO NOT consider the slave cylinder to be part of the trans and get that to match the master cylinder you are using.

The 1993-1994 Master, slave are different. but this only means you must use these three parts as a set.

AD

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Allan D thats what I thought, any 4.0 litre slave will bolt to the any year trans but it needs the same year master to work it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals