• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alignment question...steering wheel out 90degrees

whtailhunter319

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I have a 96 Supercab. Bought it with alot of milages and a lot of projects to fix on it. Last year after replacing some tie rods i brought to NTB(1 mistake i wont make again) to get the alignment done. When I left the truck still pulled slightly to the right and the steering was sloppy die to the worn steeringbox. I have since replaced the steering box. Now the steering wheel is off by 90 degrees(sideways). I assumed it was due to having attempted to align it before with a worn steering boxs. I brought the truck to a reputable local place for an alignment. They said that the steering wheel was "180" degrees out(wouldnt that make the steering wheel upsidedown??) and they wouldnt adjust it for fear of ruining the airbag. They told me to go to a dealer. Now being a competent mechanic with some sttering column teardown experience im assuming that they meant that the steering wheel had to be removed and dialed in which would require removal of the airbag. SO Here is my real question. To disarm the airbag I need to disconnect the battery for 30min prior to removing the airbag? Can anyone else give me a brief walkdown as i havent torn a ranger column down before. Thanks !!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The steering wheel only fits onto the column one way. It has a master spline the prevents it from being moved.

Sounds like you need to center the steering box and then remove the steering clumn and reinstall it so the wheel is in the right spot.

whtailhunter319

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok, how do i go about centering it so i can get it close enough for them to align it? What is the possible damage to the air bag he mentioned and how do i prevent it?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
He might have meant damaging the clockspring, that would affect the airbag. You would need to centre up the steering and then check that the clockspring is also centered. Might be better to remove the clockspring while you centre the steering then re-install it after.

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Doest the whole steering assembly go on one way, im fairly sure the pitman arm goes onto the steering box with a set of 3 master splines of wich 1 if i recall is larger then the other 2, allowing it to only go on, one way, i may be wrong, if they are all 3 the same size, remove pitman arm, count turn starting from one lock to the other, then go back to the middle and line up the 3 master splines, the steering linkages from the wheel to the box can only go on one way as well, im fairly sure,

I know when i put a new steering box on my truck i took it from a 2wd ranger and it made the steerin wheel off by about 45degrees off from staight... or about a 3 0 clock position, when i lifted the truck it went to about 90, lol.

I got it aligned at the shop i used to work at, and i watched, helped a bit with the alignment, and got it to specs i was comfortable with. for the steering correction, i placed the wheel stright, to my liking and he adjusted the tie rods till the wheels were in spec. If everything in the steering area looks to be properly aligned and is still out, i would place your steering wheel straigh, ad get it close as you can with a tape measure, with the wheel straight them have them align it, if that is truly the case, or something may be out of wack,

whtailhunter319

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok sounds like its easy enough to center it up. It seems i did something similiar when i read the install instructions but maybe i was off. As for the clockspring..Disconnect battery wait 30 min to give time for capacitor to discharge. remove air bag from wheel... im assuming the clockspring is going to be next or close to this???? Anyone?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The clockspring is behind the steering wheel, they're expensive and easily broken. It's really just a wound up ribbon cable inside a box that connects the air bag, horn and other various steering wheel buttons to the harness.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals