• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine stopped turning

majdi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
okay so this is the 3rd engine in 1 month, first engine blew up on the highway, changed it from the junk yard with an areostar one, put that one in , the engine ran fine, 2 weeks later second engine was gone , bent rods, the junkyard was nice enough to give me a second engine , this engine would turn over by hand when it was out , replaced rear main seal and put it in ,

the engine turned over really slowly , and it didn't seam like there was any compression, when i took out the starter to check it out , it spun fast and seemed fine , i took all the plugs out , i kept on turning the engine over , all of the sudden the engine stopped spining , and the engine didn't move at all , i can't even turn it over with a rachet with a huge pipe on the other end , it feels like the engine has something stopping it from turnning over , i dind't hear any noise when it stopped turning , it just kinda stopped

and no this is not a starter issue or battery , because i should be able to turn the engine over with a ratchet ,

thanks

Last edited:

FordMan016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
big bad 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
take heads off and look at them and piston tops for any reasoning.
take pan off ... could be rods bent out of shap..

or you just have some luck engines

majdi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
to be honest i don't want to open up this engine , I'm gonna keep it like that have the junk yard guy come and take a look at the shitty engine he gave me , but I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong to cause the engine to cease
anything i can take a look at , any tests with out dropping oil pan / head

thanks

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Did you change the oil aleady? If so what did the old oil look like i.e metal shards, crap in it. If nothing in the oil, the cylinders could have rust on them from sitting. If you do need to get another motor I would rebuild it and check it over before putting it in your vehicle just to aviod problems. But I dont know of any tests to check for problems without pulling the heads/oil pan.

majdi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
o okay thanks guys , i was just trying to figure out what would cause it to cease , but ill make sure i get a running engine when they give me another one

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i always shoot rust penetrant into the cylinders of a junkyard engine. they ususally sit for quite a while before being sold

snoman6115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
also my dad said that if a engine was running while the car was upside down or on its side, the valves ahd no oil in them

rpcaster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the ohv engine oil pump is like the one in the sohc, it may have lost prime. Maybe it might be worth checking pump prior to startup, using priming tool or add extra quart of oil and remove plugs to build oil pressure with starter motor. You should squirt a little oil into each cylinder, prior to cranking. After pressure builds remove extra oil, prior to firing.

majdi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
turns out the torque converter wasn't in all the way, i pulled the engine out today and it turned by hand like a baby, reinstalled the torque and put everything back. Tomorrow I'm going to start the engine, had some small things ( brake line broke, starter needs to be changed, down pipe has to be hooked up, some coolant)

i will let you guys know if it starts

thanks

351rangerxxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hopefully you didnt break the pump in the front of the transmission

majdi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well its running now, the truck is idling fine but so many things went wrong,

brake line broke
windshield broke
gas line started leaking
oil started spilling from the valve covers
shifter cable on the tranny broke
the exhaust manifold is leaking

fixed the brakes, fixed the gas lines, fixed the oil leak, now i have to fix the exhaust and tranny shifter.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats good to hear.... but how did you manage to break the windshield??? did the hood hit it or something???

Last edited:

majdi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
must have put a ratchet there and it hit the windshield by accident , to be honest i'm really sick of this motor, the number of times i have pulled it out in the past month is just outrageous.

i'm just wondering how hard pulling the exhaust manifold off will be, specially if any of the bolts brake.

the shifter cable i have is from an explorer, the junk yard guy said it was a 94 and the dealer said explorer and ranger 94 are the same length but it doesn't seem to fit and the end of the cable doesn't want to stay on the arm coming out of the firewall

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Exhaust manifold bolts can be a b*tch to take out without breaking. My dad and i did it to one sie with no problems but the other side we broke two but nothing all-thread and a welder didnt rig uhmma fix.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Exhuast bolts can be hell, i would just heat them up with a torch before even trying to take them out.
Beef

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals