• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear brake upgrade...

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Rover 4.0 Aluminum V8 swap
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I'm in the early stages of a '91 Ranger 2wd V-8 swap. I plan on keeping the 7.5" rear as I'll be at a low power level, around 225 hp and wont be thrashing on it.

I'll be removing the unit for a "bench" limited slip install, general inspection/freshening of the internals as well as a possible leaf spring replacement. It came with 3.08 gears which is what I want and is in good operating condition. Now would be a good time to upgrade the brakes while I'm at it.

I'd love to see discs peeking through my 15" Ultra alloys but I'll be happy with an upgraded drum set-up with fresh parts.

What parts will be needed and what can I get new/rebuilt?
I'm guessing backing plates will be a used only item.

Hoping to benefit from those who have "been there done that". If anyone has any part #'s, pics of the upgrade or suggestions that would be helpful and appreciated.

Need to add "whoa" along with "GO!"

Thanks!
Mike

rat_ranger

December 2009 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
north race car make a backingplate that runs $150, you use cobra 12 inch rotors with it and cobra calipers. calipers can be picked up for $200 new, or go to a junkyard and pick them up used for less. On the brake line you want to get the soft lines from an 03 cobras rear brakes, and if you use the same sive line as stock just shorter itll all bolt righ up and then you bleed them and your good to go. I dont have any pics but its pretty simple to do. total it can be done for about $450 using all new parts and braided stainless soft lines to the calipers

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
First determine if you really need it. Pull the RABS fuse and jam on your brakes. If you can lock up the rears, the brakes are as good right now as you will ever get them. I suspect this is the case.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I was going to build a 2wd rocket, I would grab a 1995+ Explorer 8.8 that has factory discs and leave it with the spring below the axle to help with wheel hop.

I got mine with springs for $100, it is a limited slip with 3.73's... only downside is you want 3.08 and I think 3.27 were as high as they had from the factory.

It would look better than drums through your wheels, would take everything your V-8 could dish out, and most of them had limited slip from the factory. Really the only advantage of the discs over the drums is looks on the light end of a pickup.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals