• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaking Windshield - 92 Ranger

SLR_65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a '92 Ranger 3.0 V6 5 speed and I've been happy with it.

Last night through this morning though it's been raining and when I got in the truck this morning I noticed the headliner was wet right at upper driver's side and the floor was a little wet. The passenger side was also damp in the corner but the floor wasn't. It wasn't wet anywhere else on the headliner (I especially checked by the rear tailight).

Sooo, it looks like I've got the common Ranger leaking windshield problem, GRRR!

I found a little info in the archives on this. From what I gather I need to remove the outter windshield trim (it takes a special tool - can someone give me a brand and part number for one they've used with success?) and apply some sealer. Which sealer works best for this? Also, from what I gather the problem is frequently due to rust at a seam, should I remove the headliner and see if I can see a rust spot? If so, is it worth trying to clean it up from the back side and maybe sealing with some JB Weld or just seal it from the top with some sealer and if that doesn't hold I'm stuck removing the windshield and having a shop repair the rust damage?

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Steve

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Time for a new windshield gasket-seal install, Bro. That is the best way to do it. If not, that area will rot and then you will have rust and more leaking. Buy weathertight gasket adhesive. Best stuff to use. This just did not happen, it has been leaking for sometime. You need to look for damage around the metal frame support along the windsheild area when you get the windsheild out and gasket-seal out. That will be your first step. If you see rust near the headliner area you need to clean it up the best you can. Spray some rust preventer in the area.

SLR_65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi Straycat,

I'd like to avoid removing the windshield if I can as the way I understand it there is no gasket per se, it's actually glued in with a urethane glue and usually you can't get the windshield out without breaking it.

It's just a work truck so I don't want to throw a ton of cash at it.

Doing a little more reading I saw where the rain gutters can cause this problem and many have used sealer in the trough of the rain getter to solve it. I took a look at my truck on break tonight and sure enough, someone had sealed the troughs of my gutters and the sealer is breaking down - there is a nice big fat crack at the front of the gutter by the pillar where its wet! On the other side there are a couple small cracks and a hole about the size of a ball point pen end!

I'm going to get some sealer and touch those areas up and see how I fair in the rain that's predicted next week. When I get time I'll dig the old stuff out and install some new.

Hopefully that'll fix it - wish me luck!

Steve

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
There should be a weather seal around the windsheild. I have one on my 99. If those gutters on the roof area are leaking then they need to be repaired. Just putting sealer is not a good way to do it. There must be bad rust there or inside the metal. You need to clean it good and inspect it to see how bad it is. Good luck, Bro!!

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good luck removing an 19 year old windshield without breakage.

SLR_65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that's why I said "I'd like to avoid removing the windshield if I can as the way I understand it there is no gasket per se, it's actually glued in with a urethane glue and usually you can't get the windshield out without breaking it." in post #3!

From what I'm reading Straycat may have a gasket in his newer truck, but mine is actually glued in so it'll be a new windshield if I've got to pull it.

I agree if the gutters are leaking it should be fixed right as it's hard to argue against fixing something right but there's a point where cost has to come into play. If a truck with 200,000 on it has a rear main start leaking do you pull the engine and fix it or just add oil as it doesn't have much life left? Same thing here, I'm not doing major body surgery and paint on a $1,200 work truck if some sealer will get me by for a bit longer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals