• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Catalytic Converter Removal???

hooper98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got a '98 Ford Ranger, 4.0ltr V6 I have done a bunch of mods on it, and finally got down to the sound of it. I bought a Flow-master 40 the aggressive blah blah blah blah blah....

Had 'er in and well... no sound?!?! I thought this was supposed to be the loudest SOB out there, so I took a closer look at my exhaust turns out I got 2 Catalytic converters one in front of the other, with a O2 sensor out of there...

Now I'm wondering if ditching the CAT/S will help with the sound at all and what are the negatives to doing it??

Can anyone help me out??

Thanks-

Hooper

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It will be highly recommended that you do not do this. You will probably be criticized heavily for wanting to remove the cats.

It will make it louder. Maybe too loud

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am so sick of people with 4 and 6 cylinder engines coming in here saying "I put all this money into my truck trying to make it sound like a Mustang, but it still doesn't. Will destroying the environment make my truck louder?"

You want it to sound like a muscle car? Go buy a muscle car.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I predict this thread to be locked as soon as a mod finds it.

TRS does not condone removing cats because it is ILLEGAL.

Not to mention that you will get NO performance increase (you'll probably actually lose performance). The only way you will see a real performance increase would be if the cat is actually plugged up and bad (in which case you'll get the MOST benefit by REPLACING the cat).

Your 4.0L will never sound like a stroked V-8. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The front "cat" on your truck is most likely a pre-cat.

I have a Flowmaster 40 series on my choptop and have the cat still on the truck. At idle it is not very loud at all. You can hear that it's running, but it's not really loud. But when you get on the throttle it gets louder (although you don't notice it so much because at speed, the sound is coming from behind you), but everyone tells me they can hear me coming in it. My F-150 came with a cherry-bomb glass-pack on it from the previous owner. With the stock tailpipe after it, it was quiet (6-cyl truck, 300-6 motor). When the tailpipe rotted off after the muffler and fell off, I put a turn-down on it and ran it. You could hear it then, but it wasn't overly loud. When the muffler rotted through and fell off, then it got loud - but it really sounded like crap with both no muffler and glass-pack.

The 2000 Ranger sitting in my driveway with a 5.0L V-8 tucked under the hood has a Magnaflow dual in - dual out muffler and dual 2.5" pipes - now that thing rumbles a bit and sounds very good. That's about the only way you'll get a GOOD loud sound out of a Ranger.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I am so sick of people with 4 and 6 cylinder engines coming in here saying "I put all this money into my truck trying to make it sound like a Mustang, but it still doesn't. Will destroying the environment make my truck louder?"

You do have quite the way with words!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
By nature, the cat heats up exhaust gases. Hot exhaust gasses are less dense and flow easier through a pipe than colder denser fluid. If I were to predict power levels, I would suggest the cat would produce slightly more power (minimally) and as an added benefit anyone following you in town on a summer day doesn't have watery eyes!

If you want to be loud and obnoxious (make everyone look at you like a retard and laugh because you genuinely believe your cool) why not run 6 zoomie headers out of the hood? You can throw a y-pipe on cylinders 2 and 5 so that you have 8 pipes coming through the hood (you know, just like a V8).

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!

:icon_rofl: now....now, ads...do you need some of my meds....I remember years ago when you convinced me that removing my cat was a bad thing...True--I did get better performance because the 02 sensor was telling the computer to send 20% more gas to the engine causing my mileage to drop 4mpg.....and...after removong the cat, my eyes would burn badly & I'd get nauseated if I stood behind the truck for more than 20 seconds while it was idling...and the exhaust was a lot louder--even if it sounded like a V8 running on 5 cylinders......So what I did was (do not try this at home....I ran true duals with a proportional size cat on each exhaust....and my fav-o-rite "mufflers" on each exhaust---passed yearly emmisions test with flying colors...........sounded almost like a V8...and much better than a V6........................so then...............i put a V8 in it.....waaaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahhhahhaaaaaaaaa!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
This thread will soon be placed in this box

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
It is against the law to remove a cat, Bro. I have a Flowmaster 40 and it sounds great and has a really nice rumble and it is not supposed to be annoying. If you want to run around with the noisiest vehicle around...you are a complete idiot. Somebody may get pissed at you and shoot you dead. Enjoy the performance the Flowmaster offers and don't complain.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

I really think we need a sticky on the bads of removing cats.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
How loud do you expect it to be? My 3.0 sounds fine with everything from the cats forward stock and a simple cat back. I never cared for glasspacks so I got a flowmaster 40, and if anything, its a bit too loud for me, especially on a cold day, but sounds decent to me.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have a flow 40 on my truck it sounds just fine, plus all that black smoke coming out the exhaust cause you don't have a cat looks bad, unless you have a diesel.

These engines don't produce enough power to benefit from removing the cats.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recommend a glasspack after the cats, I am running that setup x2 on my F-150... granted it has a V8 but it is a perfect balance between not too quiet and not too loud.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
OK, curiosity now, how loud is everyone else's rangers with a flowmaster 40? Mine sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/AWiynDOfHWk

Windows were up so what it sounds like is what it sounds like to me :dunno:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals