• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Catalytic Converter Removal???

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
No, all the cool diesel owners that program their pickups to dump excessive amounts of fuel into the engine so that it pukes out dark thunder clouds of smog.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
People,

We want to let discussions go on here, but our owner has a policy--do not discuss illegal things.

Emissions tampering is illegal. Period. Do not discuss how to get away with it. We all know that very few places in the US sniff tailpipes or even do visuals. Do not discuss how to pass a visual on trucks that have had equipment removed. I will personally ban your ass back to the dark ages. I don't care if the Virgin Mary could breathe the fumes from your tampered emissions--we aren't going to discuss how to get away with breaking the law here.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I guess I can't talk about what I did in the ranger when I was an 18 year old senior chasin underclass women!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Cat dyno testing

The above link is from a magazine that did some testing of different cats (stock, high flows, and removed).

If your lazy, here's the rundown on a Civic:
  • stock cat - 147 hp - 105 ft-lbs
  • high flow (ceramic) - 150hp - 107 ft-lbs
  • high flow (metalic) - 151hp - 107 ft-lbs
  • removed - 152hp - 108 ft-lbs

At that rate, do a tune up and you'll see more of a gain in power.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, all the cool diesel owners that program their pickups to dump excessive amounts of fuel into the engine so that it pukes out dark thunder clouds of smog.
Because everyone knows that black smoke adds horsepower.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Mebbe apples and oranges , but in my old BMWs , the original cat was functional well past 200K miles. Also, the exhaust was designed around the cat. Deletion made the exhaust sound terrible. . The example of the Civic is prolly typical. I dont know about Rangers, and I'm not particularilly worried about pollution. But I wasn't about to ruin a relationship with my inspector that stretches back 20 yrs. I knew he would look and I wanted a real cat in there . And I had a good one on the jeep that came from a bigger engine. :icon_welder:

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
People,

We want to let discussions go on here, but our owner has a policy--do not discuss illegal things.

Emissions tampering is illegal. Period. Do not discuss how to get away with it. We all know that very few places in the US sniff tailpipes or even do visuals. Do not discuss how to pass a visual on trucks that have had equipment removed. I will personally ban your ass back to the dark ages. I don't care if the Virgin Mary could breathe the fumes from your tampered emissions--we aren't going to discuss how to get away with breaking the law here.

You never know who is reading the forums! There was a Ham radio operator on a Amatuer radio forum who claimed he was running 50,000 watts on his base station. 1500 watts is FULL LEGAL output on that particular frequency he was refering to. The FCC got his IP address, found him and he was fined in the tens of thousands of dollars.
If someone is too cheap to replace a catalytic converter, then they should save money by taking the bus until they have the cash.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
This is going back a few years ('95 or '96), but...

A buddy of mine got in trouble doing something stupid in his Mustang. The cops decided to look underneath and found he had no cats. He got a summons for emissions tampering. The max fine was $5000 per missing cat. The 'stang has 4. He went to court facing a max of $20,000 fine, plus court cost, lawyer fees, etc. He got off ONLY paying about $4500, but still learned his lesson the hard way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals