• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what does this go to

mypaperpast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

where does the RED vacuum line coming off the intake manifold go to....the one on my truck is taken off and plugged....this is how i bought the truck...i've been trying to find pictures that show the set up i have and i've noticed this particular line is routed to different places but none really show me where and what it's for

like this one the line is routed to the back of the motor....this is more like my set up with the filter

truck is an 88 2.9 4x4

Last edited:

mypaperpast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok......i think i may have found it......one line goes to the MAP sensor and the other goes to the "cold air intake"....but really that vacuum line is not needed as is the reason mines plugged.......correct me if i'm wrong

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That red line is for the EGR valve. The first picture you posted is on an 87. Yours (as per your profile) is a 92. Ford stopped putting EGR on the 2.9s in 88. What ever that line coming straight off your vac tree is it's not for EGR.

mypaperpast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes i do have a 92....however the truck that i'm talking about is an 88 ranger 2.9 as stated in my first post.....maybe i should add the 88 to my profile...sorry for the confusion...

i've also read that my truck (the 88 in question) is not equipped with an EGR....it has also been converted to a "cold air system" which i might be converting back to stock...i already have all the original parts piled up from my old old old 88 that totaled but do not have the truck anymore...just the parts....

the line on the new truck (the 88 2.9) has the nipple but it's plugged....the line on the other nipple goes back to the MAP sensor....is the plugged line plugged because of the intake swap that was done.....is it the line that went to the old stock air filter box...or is it suppose to go somewhere else....it is plugged with a screw so obviously it's not factory and something the previous owner did....

so i'm just curious where these two lines go and if it matter which line is on which nipple....

this here is almost exactly like what my motor looks like...i do not have it at home or else i'd just take a picture of my own truck...

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well 88 still doesn't have EGR. The vac tree was probably used on more than one thing, and so it still as that nipple, which obviously can't just be left open, so it got capped.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its been a long time since I've been under the hood of an 88. I was also thinking like you and that it goes to the air box.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals