• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buckets in an '87 Ranger Supercab

lstevens76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, my grandfather has wanted buckets for years and while I was at a local pick-a-part yesterday I saw a set of '97 Ford Explorer Leather Electric Buckets (exactly what he wants) from an Eddie Bauer.

To clarify, this is my grandfather's '87 Ford Ranger Super Cab 4x4 2.9V6 Auto.

What I'm trying to find out is will these seats fit? Has anyone done this before and if so how as the forward/back clearance?

What is needed to make this work?

If it won't work what seats will work?

I keep finding contradictory information which is why I'm asking. Hoping to clear up all the contradictions I keep finding while researching. :)

Thanks

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
As RonD posted, that link is a good start...all you need for most situations. The Electric part of the seats may be a bit of a job to install and you might need to go back and snag the wiring section for the seats as much as you can. My 88 had a wire already installed for the seats that were in mine when I bought it...the wire was for the lumbar support motor in the seats.

If your truck already has an appropriate wire then all you may need to do is swap over a clip and splice it into the wire for the seats.

Rails are a good thing to have...and duplicate if you can. I've had two sets of rails rust out from under me in 15 years of owning a Ranger...and I think part of that is from the fact that the bolts actually stick out the bottom of the floor panels...something to think about.

If the floor already has the holes for the bucket rails then it makes your life much easier...if not...you will need to drill them and ensure there is adequate floor metal to support the seat...more so the metal to prevent the seats from being ripped out of the vehicle in the event of a crash...which might catch the eye of an inspector on one of those roadside inspections...and to give you a bit of peace of mind...

The rails can be had from any number of Ranger or RBVs such as early explorers, rangers, or BIIs...just check the floor pan area under the seats as they changed over the years...83-92 Ranger rails work...as 89-92 Explorers...not sure about other years as different models experienced minor or major changes...my 96 floor pan was slightly different and I couldn't check the rails because the PO sold them...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, the first link shows picks of both 99 and 2002 explorer seats and console in the Ranger...I haven't looked at the document lately and probably should have...

And what 85Ranger did was use the seats from an Explorer and the rails from a Ranger...often times the rails from various and assorted vehicles will not fit the Ranger floor pans of every year.

I know from experience that the Tempo seats fit the Ranger rails because I did that swap myself before I even looked for help on here...but that was just because I had them and one day I said "Hmmmm...I wonder..." and viola! voila...avoil!

So...unfortunately you didn't get the answer from the two people who answered...but we do try to steer you towards something and also help to bump the thread up to where someone might see it and say..."Wait...before you do that...try this..."

Which is usually the way it works but sometimes you get what you need in the first answer and walk away saying "Wow...those guys are great..."

Now...in your case...we know the 97 explorer seats will work because there wasn't much change in the floor pans between 83 and 97...but you will need a set of rails from an 87, 88 or up to 92 because they were almost identical...

As I mentioned before...the 93 and up rails may or may not work and you will need to check them against your floor pans...however...most all seats including the ones you want to use will bolt right onto your bucket seat rails from an earlier bucket application...so...you still need to find the bucket rails...

I've read over that article a few times to make sure this time...the bench seat rails are no good to you at all for buckets so toss them...and maybe easier to remove the bench from the rails first because the last time I removed a bench on the rails in a standard cab I just about choked myself a few times due to limited space...but if you have an ext cab with 60/40 split they are fairly easy to remove...as you might already know...

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Doesn't the 60/40 split just use bucket rails already?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Doesn't the 60/40 split just use bucket rails already?
:bawling:

:annoyed:

:dunno:

Of course! WTF was I thinking....oh, right...my first Ranger had an actual bench seat...so when someone says "bench"...I automatically think of that bench...

Not the bench I warmed in High School on the basketball team...or the one from a 60/40 split...that has a conspicuously close looking passenger bucket seat...

Ugh...I'm going back to needlepoint...:icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And this is exactly the reason I'm confused:

This says nothing about explorer seats and keeping the center console:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Seats.shtml

But this post it's exactly what he did:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=976835&postcount=5
The floor pan was a different profile than the explorer so I had to shim the console. You're being an extended cab my be different yet. Came out sitting higher and farther ahead than it did in the explorer but still nice due to the different floor and not as long of cab.

Floor pan was already dimpled where the inside holes needed to be so it made drilling holes for the buckets easy. There is a heat shield that is right in the way and annoying.

My brackets are actually off of a split bench originally.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals