• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello

AKdude

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but not new to rangers. I have been stalking this forum for info for a couple years now, so I figured now is time to join up.

I am active duty Air Force, soon to leave NJ for Alaska. I have owned a 1999 Ranger 4x4, 2002 FX4, and now I just bought a 1986 Ranger STX 4x4. I am currently in the process for locating a donor vehicle for a 4.0 swap.

On the note I have a question from those who have experience in this. I have an auto transmission but am think about converting it to a manual so I can use the M50D-R1. Any thoughts? Worth the trouble?

Excited to be a part of the forum! Nice to meet everyone!

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The conversion shouldn't be too bad. Just find a donor with the manual and the 4.0. You'll be set for parts. If you're REALLY lucky, you'll find a 91-93 Explorer with the manual and manual transfer case. That way you can use both axles too and better brakes would be a bolt on affair later. Ranger parts are more common in manual though and should still offer a stronger axles.

AKdude

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I decided to just stick with auto. I found a 91 ranger stx 4x4 for $650. In good condition. Should be pretty straight forward.

AKdude

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wow.. Beautiful car..
I am honored the your first post on this site is to point out the sheer beauty of my truck. Thank you.

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm seeing snow on the ground so are you in the Fairbanks - Northpole Alaska area? if so i have all kinds of parts if you need. by the way nice truck.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am honored the your first post on this site is to point out the sheer beauty of my truck. Thank you.
I think you will fit right in here. Welcome to TRS!

Richard

AKdude

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i'm seeing snow on the ground so are you in the Fairbanks - Northpole Alaska area? if so i have all kinds of parts if you need. by the way nice truck.
Yep, the truck is in Fairbanks right now. My brother picked up for me. I'm actually in NJ til the end of may and then will be stationed at Eielson starting in June. I will definitely keep in mind that you have parts! Have you done a swap before by chance?

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
trans and transfer case. dana 35 to replace dana28.explorer 8.8 . will be spaw 2.9 to 4.0 in fall. this is happening on a 89 Bronco 2.plus 5.5 explorer lift with extended radius arms. this next winter will be doing sas. plus once the bronco is done i've got a 88 ranger extended cab i will be swaping a 92 explorer engine and chassis into. here's link to bronco 2 build http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157974. and link to ranger build.http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157972. by the way thank you for serving our country. if you like trail riding check out this link http://www.arcticoffroad.com/i'm a member of pretty good group of off roaders and a lot of military.i'm arctic alf on there two. can't wait to meet you.

AKdude

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have always wanted to get into trail riding. We'll definitely have to meet up this summer. I might need your expertise if my brother and I get stuck on the build. I might want some body parts (passenger fender and vent cowl) if you have some to spare.

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i've got those parts.the cowl panel is welded in place just so you know. trail riding is a blast . great views, friends and pushing your rig to it's limits and getting home.

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i should have a good bumper. not sure on grille though

AKdude

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I actually picked up a nice grille out here in NJ. I've been trying to get what I can out here because I know things can get limited in Alaska.

AKdude

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I finally got to see the truck in person! I like it even more now. I picked up a couple seats out of an 86 Merkur to replace my crappy, broken, stock seats. I also removed the ladder rack. This weekend will be the big project. I'll be sure to post lots of pics.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Belated welcome to TRS and also welcome to Alaska. I grew up a 100 miles South of FBX down in Delta and its prime wheeling country all over the interior as I am sure you figured out by now but havnt been up to FBX for a few years when I put up a steel building out in Fox. The cool thing about like Eielson/Wainwright/Greely is that there are untold miles of old tank/apc trails to explore that civilians can't access as long as they are not restricted areas its like a private playground. I used to know every rabbit trail on Greely and it was pretty chill there in the late 70's so the MP's never wondered around out there and all they had was little postal jeeps anyway lol but with the missile defense system these days things may be a bit more controled. A couple of us guys used to bring our rigs to FBX and hit the big mud bog events out on South Cushman, I have a few trophies packed away somewhere still. Oh and Delta has a big mud bog event at the Deltana fair so that may be fun for you to go see and camp out. Your gen 1 ranger looks sweet and keep posting as you build it, most importantly thank you very much for your military service :icon_thumby:.

AKdude

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Lime Bean, thanks for the support! I'm going to have to check out the fair for sure. I started posting my build in the builds thread if you want to stay tuned. I'll be finishing my engine swap this weekend! So excited about it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals