• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing an old car question.

TigerTownRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I apologize if this has been posted before, if it is I'll lurk some more.

Anyways, I have plenty experience with trucks, but not really with towing. My last car was a Honda Prelude. Loved it but a guy who had a few screws loose messed with the lug nuts intentionally causing the wheel to fly off when I was driving. Totally wrecked the frame and front suspension. So I got the Ranger! He was trying to hurt me but in the long run he did me a favor getting rid of that POS Honda for me, insurance gave me a check so the Ranger was dirt cheap to buy :yahoo:

Anyways, the Prelude is sitting at my house and I'm taking it to a junkyard soon. I have a trailer I can borrow that I'm going to put the Prelude on to haul it out.

I'm just wondering if my Ranger is capable of towing it, or if I'll have to enlist one of my buddies to tow it for me.

My truck is a 2000 Ranger XLT. 3.0 V6, 5-speed with an aftermarket clutch (rated for "stage 2" supposedly). Its riding on 35" TA KOs and is also re-geared to 4.88s.
The Prelude weighs 2,260 lbs and the trailer is probably around 1,500-2,000 lbs.

I'm worried that this is just a bit more than my Ranger is capable of, I've heard the 3.0 is a bit sluggish already and I fear trying to tow this load would be too much for it to handle and burn up my clutch.

What advice do you guys have about it?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Just call the bone yard they will pick it up as long as you have the title. They might even throw you a few bucks?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I kinda agree with K, as the price of scrap is down and it could be saving you time and effort to let someone else do it. However, if it was my truck, I wouldn't have a problem towing what you describe for a short distance. Just don't slip the clutch when starting, that's where the damage comes from.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Take it easy with the clutch and you should be fine.

If you could rent a dolly you would lose a lot of weight (if the car can roll and be reliably strapped down by the front wheels)

TigerTownRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright guys, I'll ask the place what they could do for towing it out. They are offering 500 for it, I don't want to let it go for much less since I need the $$ but I will look into it. The shop is a good 20 miles away, would it be safe to tow it this far?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You should be just fine keep your foot off of the clutch. when not shifting keep your left foot on the floorboard.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
20 miles of what?
those 35s might be OK getting you going with 4.88 gears, but with that much weight don't plan on stopping because you won't be able to.

Perry

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ Good point. I wouldn't use a trailer without brakes on both axles. And don't use a single axle trailer. So now you have to make sure you have the wiring to support trailer brakes, which can cost. I just spent $170 upgrading the wiring on my f150 to tow trailers with brakes.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
alwaysFlOoRed:

What do you have against surge brakes and/or tow dollies? :) I'm not against electric brakes - they are better when you are towing regularly, but:

Surge brakes don't require any upgrades to the towing vehicle, so ok for the occasional trip to lake with boat/dead vehicle to recycler...

For something a light as a Prelude, a U-Haul tow dolly (which has surge brakes) is a legitimate way for a Ranger to get rid of the dead vehicle.

p.s. Trailer brake requirements coast to coast to coast. http://www.towshop.com/trailer_supplemental_braking_laws.htm 2008 version - Manitoba, I know has implemented requirement of brakes on all trailers over 907kg (2,000lbs) gross

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have nothing against them. They aren't at the forefront of my brain because I've never used them. I've read they are a good alternative.
Edit; Great link, bookmarked, thanks.

Sent from my XT1032

Last edited:

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just take your time and you should be fine. Give yourself plenty of room to stop and don't get in a hurry.

If they will come get it though I would let them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals