• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L to 289 or 351 Options

jmkjr72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2.9L to 289 or 351 Options

Track this topic
Email this topic
Print this topic
Download this topic
Subscribe to this forum
Switch to: Outline
Standard
Switch to: Linear+ motocross Jul 30 2007, 03:36 PM Post #1

Been here a while

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,343
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
Vehicle Year: 1988
2WD or 4WD: 4WD

hi i have a 1988 ford ranger 4X4 THE motors a 2.9l and has a mad oil leak from where the motor / tranny conect and my trannys slippin abit so i have a 289 block and 351 block and my dads friend will build be a motor quick he thinks it would be awsome in a ranger . he thinks the 289 block would be easier because the 351 is a bigger block and i have a small truck , he will be building it so it will probably be the 289 is there anything rong with this motor ? any reasin why i shouldnt swawp it in ? . i was also wondering if there is any 289 conversion kids for putting this in i reamember seeing some awhile ago but i dont remember where. if i do this what kind of transmision should i use and what rear ends ?

my truck has a body lift so this should make it easier right ?

thanks motocross

Full Edit
Quick Edit
superrob Jul 30 2007, 03:44 PM Post #2

Working towards my 6th wrench...

Group: Premium Member
Member No.: 4,626
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT (2.9L)
Vehicle Year: 1989

The 289 is basically a 302, just with different bore and stroke if I'm not mistaken. Same block though. The 351 will fit no problem, but its easier if you have a body lift.

Search the threads in the V8 Swap Forum for parts that you'll need, like a oil filter relocator, V8 Radiator, probably an electric fan, stuff like that.

Any transmission should work well for you I dont think that there was a particularly crappy one that was mated to a V8, but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong....lets just say not particularly crappy when compared to a Mistu 5spd or an A4LD.

I'd probably go for the 351, because if youre going through the effort I'd want the most result out of it, and a 289 doesnt really stack up compared to it....or to say the least the differences will be immense.

Make sure your putting in at least an 8.8 inch rear end, or a 9 inch, whichever is easier to get ahold of. And before too long I'd look for a Dana 35 front end from a 91? - up ranger. It'll serve you better than the Dana 28 will, those axle shafts are kinda spindly and the UJoints arent that great!

Good Luck!

Full Edit
Quick Edit
shep 44 Aug 1 2007, 08:34 AM Post #3

I like this place......

Member No.: 899

If you use the 289 make sure it's a 6 bolt bell housing block and not a 5 bolt. Not a lot of tranny options for a 5 bolt.

Full Edit
Quick Edit
85_Ranger4x4 Aug 1 2007, 09:41 AM Post #4

Getting CRT Burns

Member No.: 98
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Vehicle Year: 1985

If I had both sitting on the bench in the same condition I would go with the 351 hands down. However a friend gave me a rebuildable 289 and a C-4 to get it out of his way, so that is the route I will be going as well. The 289 is great engine that will make a fool most stock 302's, the first ones (pretty much a stroked 289) and the later ones when they figured out how to pass emissions and make a somewhat decent amount of power would be the only ones that could compare. You will need a double sump oil pan with the dipstick in it though. I forget what the exact application was but it has been discussed on here before, as well as how to run a later serpintine belt on the 289, which is handy as not many 289's came with power steering, and not many Rangers didn't.

Even a 7.5 will hold either fairly well, if you are going to be hard on it go with the 8.8 though

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals