• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P0401 Blues....

MattyJoe

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, Next month my truck is due for inspection. Now of course my cel had to go ahead and come on this month. The code is P0401(EGR flow insufficient) . In the past I've had this problem and replaced the DPFE sensor which easily fixed the problem. I've noticed over the past couple of weeks my truck has been running a little hotter than normal, especially when I get on the freeway and have to crack the AC on(it's a must in the 104 degree heat we're having right now). In fact, without the A/C the engine temp seems all but fine. But once on, that gage gets up there. My cel came on a couple of weeks before I started to notice the temp. issues. I'd been thinking of replacing the EGR valve anyway, but would that have anything to do with the higher engine temperature?

I realize it's Aug. and I'm in Texas, but I've been driving this Trailhead for the last 7 years(it's got 170K mi on it now) and I've never seen this condition regardless of the weather conditions.

Thanks,
Matt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Simple check. Pull the vacuum line off of the egr valve and start the truck. Use a small diameter piece of hose to either suck (its gonna taste kinda bad) or use a hand vacuum pump and try to actuate the valve. The motor should spit and sputter horribly and cut off. If all it does is spit and sputter a lil, its time to clean the egr ports. If it doesnt do anything, its time to clean the egr ports and retest the same way to see if it helps. If it does nothing to the running condition, shut the truck off and actuate it again to try and hear the valve open and close, if you hear nothing, you need an egr valve. If you dont feel comfortable trying this, take it to a reputable shop and tell them what you have, if they have time to do it, should be fixed within a day. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals