• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd 351 windsor

jmkjr72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i cant belive it, one of the salemen at the dealership is going to pay to have me put a 351 windor into a 87 ext cab ranger. well ive done one swap already but this one is gonna be sweet. money is really no object, well ok mayb under 15k. what are you guys best recemendations. i know about the swaps but because i need to come up with some kind of minimun hour quote i need some help. he is going to put 7k down cash first. and then pay for all his parts cash as well, so this is what i go so far.

he has a 351w, 92mustang standard tranny,

he wants a biger rear end? obviously 9" but for ease of swap, im thinkin explorer 8.8 with a detroit and disc brake, driveshaft will be sent out, now the mustang std trans i have no experience with cars really, just work on super duties all day long, what motor mounts work best with 2wd ? and extras would be apreciated, it most likely willl be my filler job as its not needed till spring next year, too buisy doiin 6.0litre diesel work!

this truck as well will be sitting on air bags all 4 corners, what oil pans work best? obviously factory cast manifoldds from ford. then the minor wiring to run the efi. thanxs in advance and ill be adding to this in the next few days with updates and different ideas this guy has...... personally if i was a salesmen with that much money id be saving it for a rainy day.

Full Edit
Quick Edit
macripper Jul 12 2007, 09:29 AM Post #2

Been here a while

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,090
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: xlt
Vehicle Year: 2000
2WD or 4WD: 4WD

I'd start out by dumping the trans and 351 and go with a good 347, big tube tri-Y headers and a Tremec 500 with one of the mid-shift provisions
For "ease of swap" as you say, I'd just find a low mileage 8.8 from a FX4 Ranger with the Torsen rear end and 31 spline axles.

Full Edit
Quick Edit
wade Jul 13 2007, 12:55 AM Post #3

Checking it out.....

Member No.: 12,466
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Vehicle Year: 1989
2WD or 4WD: 2WD

ive done one swap already - i know about the swaps
DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SEARCH BUTTON? MOST EVRY THING YOU'RE ASKING HAS BEEN ANSWERED MANY TIMES OVER ON "TRS" AND "RPS" .
i have no experience with cars really, just work on super duties all day long.
YA' LOST ME WITH THIS ONE!
what motor mounts work best with 2wd?
MID-80's CONVERTIBLE MUSTANG MOUNTS OR 4.0L MOUNTS W/ ADAPTER PLATES.
what oil pans work best?
CROWN VIC or MUSTANG DUAL SUMP PAN ONLY.
obviously factory cast manifolds from ford.
IF YOU MUST LIMIT YOURSELF TO FACTORY MANIFOLDS - SEEK OUT AN ALUMINUM INTAKE (IF CARBED) AND (AS POORLY AS THEY FLOW) A SET OF EXPLORER TUBULAR HEADERS.

This post has been edited by wade: Jul 13 2007, 12:58 AM

Full Edit
Quick Edit
brandon black Jul 13 2007, 09:51 AM Post #4

Too much time on my hands...

Brandon,
I know you said the guy has a 351 (what year) and a Mustang trans. All depends on what that he wants in the end. Going carb'd or efi, street driver or strip monster, just something that works or is a work of art? That's kind of why I suggested going with a 347 or even a stock 302. Bolts in a lot easier, headers are available and makes clearance no problem, oil pans and mounts are all around, using the 351 makes everything just a little bit harder but can be done. The Mustang trans is sure not to last long behind a good 351 and puts the shifter location too far back for a lot. No way I would think of using the tubular stock Explorer exhaust manifolds on even a stock 302/5.0 I cut one apart to get the EGR bung for use on a set of aftermarket headers, no way could it flow enough for a 351, even tho some have used them. Even the Ford aftermarket Explorers headers would be "Iff'y" with a 351.
Dave - wait for some better respoces and ideas.

What year of all your parts and what the truck is supposed to do will dictate a few things. A 351 isn't all that bad to do but you will need to address a few things. It's larger than a 302 so the heater box really needs notched especially with aftermarket valve covers, you can only use a dual sump pan, and the exhaust will plague you. I can assume the mustang trans he has is cable pulled so there is one adapter you need to work on, converting it to hydraulic. If there is going to be serious power that tranny will blow anyway. If he must have a stick go old school with a top loader 4 speed; it will handle the power and beg for more. If he wants a 5 speed just warn him a stock mustang trans isn't going to hold 5K hole shots all day. If you can sway him to an auto a C6 with a B&M shift kit and aftermarket planetary set would be the best way to go if money isn't an option. Don't use a C4. If he wants overdrive a post-88 AOD with a few upgrades will be fine. I use 2.9/4.0L lower engine mounts with adapter plates on all my swaps. I can get the best engine placement that way. Then make a torque link and disconnect that goes from the block to the frame to limit the amount of engine twist. Connect it if you are beating on it, disconnect it for less vibration while cruising. You aren't going to find a set of bolt on headers that work how you want, don't use explorer manifolds. If this isn't a perfomance machine you can use cast manifolds but headers are where the power is at. They will have to be custom. Over the frame is the easiest way to do them. I have tried a few headers some kind of fit but need tweeking but 100% of the time they hit the steering shaft and frame on the driver side. Unless he wants the cool factor of having a 9in an 8.8 is fine. You can build a compairable 8.8 for far less money than a 9. Look around in the back issues of CarCraft, they were working on one. Go Explorer 8.8 w/disc, aftermarket shafts, locker of choice, solid pinion spacer, c-clip eliminator, a cover with bearing preload bolts and weld the tubes to the center section; plenty strong and cheaper. I could go on for hours but you need to find what kind of truck this guy expects, how radical he is willing to go, will it pass inspection in your area, and what alternatives he may consider. You are kind of in good and bad spot. You can make a few bucks but he's expecting something and if something goes wrong he will blame you. You need to over build the thing to take a beating to cover your butt. Seriously a thing to consider is once he takes it get something in writing that if he wipes out in it he can't come back on you. I always make that a point when I start modifications on peoples cars.

Matt

Full Edit
Quick Edit
almostclueless Jul 13 2007, 08:46 PM Post #7

Member No.: 19,534
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger three-point-SLUG
Vehicle Year: 1998

You can build a 351W for considerably less than a 347 and not have to worry if the stroker kit is designed for longevity....and if the guy wants more power later, the 351 can be stroked but because of it's deck height piston features don't have to be crammed together (what usually becomes an issue for longevity).

Full Edit
Quick Edit
brandon black Jul 13 2007, 09:47 PM Post #8

Member No.: 102
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: std cab
Vehicle Year: 1992

thanks guys big help, i put this out as a feeler. becuase im doing this on the clock at work and trying to make a profit on it its not going to work unless he signs over a blank cheque and just tells me he wants it to be fast? come on im gonna tell him ill build the motor for him, ill build the trans and setup the diff. but the fact that i cannot gaurantee a pass inspection let alone air care is another issue, to top it off its going for paint before i get to touch it. i dont htink its worth it even if i quote hime 100 hours minimum at our labour rate of 105 and hour. it still wont be worth the headache of someone elses expectations. thanks guys for the help no i know what he needs at least i can pass on a list of parts and say have at er do it yourself

Full Edit
Quick Edit
wade Jul 14 2007, 12:57 AM Post #9

Checking it out.....

Member No.: 12,466
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Vehicle Year: 1989
2WD or 4WD: 2WD

Think you can talk him into just doing a 5.0L conversion? You've already done one - you have experience on your side.
And, limiting you to only "Ford" manifolds seems kinda' laughable. I perceive he wants to use it as advertisment for "Ford" or at least the dealership. If that's so, it's an expensve advertising ploy. Especially, if he insists on a 351W. It's doable, but be careful, you could get caught up in a sour deal. Time vs. Money. "You're taking too long -- What are you doing with MY money?
Didn't intend to sound rude earlier, just blunt - to the point.
The idea of doing it on the clock, almost like a professional favor, sends up little red flags, to me. It's doable, just don't set yourself up for professional failure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals