• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Mazda B3000 Brake Science Fair

P3x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hi There,

Had the Left Rear Brake line go where it attaches to the left rear brake hose union. Figured it would not be too bad to repair but has turned into a Science Fair - with me the Pivot Man!

It's basically only used for dump/landscape materials runs so it was not something I had to do right away. Read through different posts and ordered an assortment of SAE and Metric fittings, spool of 3/16 steel line, spiral spring/armor, rear hoses, and all to do all in the back aft of the Front/Rear line connection, Flaring tool, etc. Additionally, while removing the brake line think I punctured a fuel line, noticed the Gas Fill tube was real rusty - way past time to replace. Since I was going to disconnect and lift the bed, figured I'd replace it along with the the fuel pump, treat the rust, POR it, etc., etc.

So several weeks had past before getting to the rear brakes. The fittings I ordered did not include one similar to the fitting on the rear line that attaches to the Front line connection (left frame rail under the cab by the Fuel Filter). The original fitting is a bit longer, has a shoulder on the end, and has metric threads. The local Auto stores did not have any that matched and could not offer any advice so used the original fitting on the new line which was not in too bad a shape. Made the line and connected and it leaks like a sieve. Torqued it to the max. I felt I could without destroying it and was no help.

Then I got to thinking there should be a Union (Male Flare Ends) between the lines as both rear and front lines have inverted flare ends. Several weeks had passed since I removed the lines. I saved/bagged the parts and did not find a union and don't remember one originally installed. Spent hours going through the forums and found references to Bubble flares and an ABS component installed between the two lines - which I do not have. Both original lines have inverted double flares. Attached pictures of the connections in their current state.

The PO mentioned he and his son did some brake work before I purchased the truck (several years ago) but think it was just brake shoes and front pad so I'm at a loss.

Hoping someone familiar with a 2001 B3000 (4 WD with ABS) can set me straight.

Thank you!

p3x - Science Fair Master!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals