• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lack of available parts in Canada

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
The insurance company cut me a cheque ($1000) seeing as we all had a hard time to get a bumper (just the bumper) shipped across the border

...as for myself I had issues with Mastercard International (in the states) & Rockauto....... (Rockauto automatically defaults to Mastercard for authentication on large dollar purchases) in this case $500Can.
International wanted to pry into my employment source & bank information....that didn't fly.

So I had to purchase the bumper from LMC Truck..

THEIR bumper is not an OEM quality item.....it's an offshore piece @$130US, (the good folks at LMC did say it was a decent item)
so I ordered the ENTIRE front bumper assembly from LMC, it totaled $520 Can, but....

to save the cross border shipping costs ($330) I have to go down to Lewiston NY next week & pick all of the items, and just for good measure I purchased a replacement grille as well.

My wife is happy .......she loves to cross border shop.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
LOL...good to hear you are sorting it out and almost there...

I had a similar issue with parts acquisition for a Suzuki Sidekick and got most of it sorted out through wrecking yards...but the insurance company wouldn't consider my time as something they would cover but I still came out on the positive side.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it makes you feel any better I hit a deer a few years ago with my F-150. Insurance would only do used parts. The bumper I got was not near as nice as the one that received a dent. Mine had nice fluid looking chrome, the new/used one has a bunch of little dents in it.

Didn't say anything, hard to see with the grille guard that joined the truck shortly thereafter anyway.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
When your luck runs bad it does so in spades...:sad:

got all of the new parts home to replace the entire front bumper components...

after getting everything off the truck & pre-assembling the new bumper I find that the bumper itself is a piece of Taiwanese JUNK. (I had a uneasy feeling that an offshore piece would end up this way).

Couldn't get the bumper to fit properly for love nor money.

After 3 attempts to get it on I placed both the old & new side by side and did a measurement of the span length.....

Jesus........ the new bumper stamping is 1" too short, no wonder there was absolutely no clearance at the ends & it wouldn't swing up into the proper horizontal place.

Here I thought LMC Truck sold reliable parts.....someone must've overlooked the quality control on this one.

so the old faded bumper is back on & I'm sitting on my thumbs waiting for LMC to warranty this oversized paper weight.

Damn, I'm frustrated.

add insult to injury........someone who doesn't like my wife's car cut one of the tire air valves & she ended up losing a tire on an open road out in the near countryside.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well that sucks and I know the pain of getting the wrong part which is why I prefer junkyard shopping over anything else.

I did order some rear panel replacements from Bumper to Bumper (formerly Impact Auto) and the driver side was perfect...the passenger side was not and I never did get to have it installed...gave it to the new owner as a bonus.

Anyway...I did a quick search on Kijiji and couldn't find anything for that year but my friend did sell her 98 so I know they are around. She sold the whole truck for $500 but offered to give it to me if I wanted it...I would have taken it in a heartbeat if it was extended cab...regular cabs are just not big enough for me.

Just saying...there are probably many trucks around that you can get parts from and come out of the game way ahead...the new stuff won't get any better and who knows how the metal will hold up.

Unless you have some other options...check out the used parts section on TRS. If someone has a bumper and you like cross border shopping that could work out perfectly...a great chance to recycle with friends...

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Well that sucks and I know the pain of getting the wrong part which is why I prefer junkyard shopping over anything else.

Unless you have some other options...check out the used parts section on TRS. If someone has a bumper and you like cross border shopping that could work out perfectly...a great chance to recycle with friends...
I did consider that approach before getting into this.....car-part.com came up with nothing locally that was in excellent condition (given 20 years old I did not expect to find anything), for a long distance piece shipping on our side of the border was out of the question.....

getting a used piece from the states turned out to be just as expensive as purchasing the initial new OEM bumper from Rockauto.

I don't blame the folks at LMC, they didn't stamp the piece, they now just have to deal with the warranty issue on this piece of junk..

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
How did this turn out? Did you find a bumper or still looking?
when it rains it pours.....:sad:

the entire procedure went into the crapper, after receiving the 1st bumper that did not fit I went thru a two week long process explaining to customer service there that the junk bumper they sent to me was an inferior stamping, sending them photos of measurements of the old vs new and where the *new* bumper was contacting the truck, they held up their end of the warranty & shipped a replacement piece that was *guaranteed* to be of proper measurement.

Not likely

The replacement item was identical to the 1st (and why not?...it came from the same manufacturer) ..now keep in mind that this did NOT come to my front door.....these were shipped to a location near Niagara Falls on the US side, so I had to drive down there twice for the sake of all this mess because LMC would NOT ship the bumper cross border via regular ground ($115) UPS which was $170 less than what they would only send by. Opening up the carton at the UPS store there I did the measurements & promptly re-wrapped the carton to send back the carton.

So now I am in the middle of a claims disagreement with them over the expense I went thru for the sake of all this because they did NOT want to ship the item as I requested.

........and as of yet I still have not got a new replacement bumper on the truck...

I'll deal with this in the spring :annoyed:

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
No wonder the insurance company and body shop didn't want to deal wish this. What a pain in the arse! Don't feel to bad, Alaska is treated like a third world country also. It is as though we are on a different planet.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
when it rains it pours.....:sad:

the entire procedure went into the crapper, after receiving the 1st bumper that did not fit I went thru a two week long process explaining to customer service there that the junk bumper they sent to me was an inferior stamping, sending them photos of measurements of the old vs new and where the *new* bumper was contacting the truck, they held up their end of the warranty & shipped a replacement piece that was *guaranteed* to be of proper measurement.

Not likely

The replacement item was identical to the 1st (and why not?...it came from the same manufacturer) ..now keep in mind that this did NOT come to my front door.....these were shipped to a location near Niagara Falls on the US side, so I had to drive down there twice for the sake of all this mess because LMC would NOT ship the bumper cross border via regular ground ($115) UPS which was $170 less than what they would only send by. Opening up the carton at the UPS store there I did the measurements & promptly re-wrapped the carton to send back the carton.

So now I am in the middle of a claims disagreement with them over the expense I went thru for the sake of all this because they did NOT want to ship the item as I requested.

........and as of yet I still have not got a new replacement bumper on the truck...

I'll deal with this in the spring :annoyed:
Ouch...ouch...ouch...:icon_confused:

This is why I really avoided buying anything from the USA via parts warehouses or wherever. I almost bought an alternator bracket from a place in Texas but backed out at the last minute when I saw that a $20 part (if I could find it) would cost me $100 plus shipping (another $35) and the Exchange on my Canadian funds...another $50 before I even got to see if the part was in good shape...

Anyway...sorry to hear...

Did you try Standard Auto by any chance?

I haven't been down there for at least three years but I used to buy quite a bit from them...just a suggestion...and I can understand your wanting to hang tight...

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Haven't contacted Standard as of yet,

from what I've heard the Toronto yard just got back up & running but not at full tilt since the fire there leveled the entire office complex 8 mths ago.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Wow...talk about being out of the loop...lol

The last time I dealt with them I learned a dark secret of the scrap car business...

They give you a price over the phone and when the guy shows up to tow the scrap vehicle he tells you he can only do $xxx which is lower than the phone quote.

Most people say OK...and the driver *apparently* gets a few more bucks...

I said no and called a friend who gave me more and was happy because the guy who owned the property had about ten scrap VWs on his property and he had them tow some of his stuff away...

Anyway...other than that I was happy to deal with them at the yard and wouldn't have been upset except for the fact that I'd been paying increased prices for parts for about 15 years and didn't expect them to try to chisel a few bucks off the price...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals