• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code: P1443 Auxilliary Emissions Control

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
What in the world is the Auxilliary Emissions control?

I decided to run to Advanced Auto and have them pull the trouble codes off my truck's computer, this is the only one that came up: P1443 Auxilliary Emissions Control.

The mechanics next door to Advanced Auto said that its some kind of canister thats back close to the fuel cell. I've also been told that this canister may be cracked in some way, and that its possible that its causing my vaccum leak.

Help?

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Anyone? What in the world does "Auxilliary Emissions Control" mean?

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
check your purge valve

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's what it was on mine.....Purge Valve!

I took everything apart, blew it out with compressed air and then reassembled after resetting the CEL. Light still came on a day or so later with the same code. Replaced the Purge Valve and everything's been good for years now.

Allen

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Thing is, theres no CEL. Just the code.

I'll look into the Purge valve, though.

NVR2FST

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My purge valve is bad also. Could this cause the truck to run rough at low rpm's? How much is the part and do you have to buy it from the dealer?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well anytime you have a CEL or transmission light on while driving, there's something not operating fully in your system and sometimes you're even driving in limp mode.

Allen

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
There was no CEL, no trouble lights of any kind, I went to Advanced Auto and had them pull the computer codes because I was trying to see if the computer knew where my vaccum leak was at....and instead I got Auxilliary Emissions....

I've been doing a little bit of research and came up with some interesting stuff.

Apparently a bad "evap purge valve" a bad "Thiristor" (as ford calls it), a bad gas cap, a bad Vapor Canister, and a bad EECS Valve can all cause this particular code to come up, and also that problems with any of these can potentially create vaccum problems.

With my limited knowledge, can anyone tell me where these things are located? I know where the Gas Cap is (I better know where it is...lol), but I have no idea where the others are.

Last edited:

NVR2FST

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On my 96' it's up on the drivers side frame rail under the hood.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If your code was noticed by a free auto parts store service, you got what you paid for.

It might be a pending code. It could just as easily be a code from the car next to yours.

These guys are NOT professional mechanics.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If your code was noticed by a free auto parts store service, you got what you paid for.

It might be a pending code. It could just as easily be a code from the car next to yours.

These guys are NOT professional mechanics.
+1

I REGULARLY go into these chain auto parts stores and leave with them aquiring new automotive knowledge....lol.

Allen

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
True enough, but I know that his handheld deal had been cleared before used on mine, so the code was most definitely off of my Ranger, not someone else's. I made sure of it, as I was standing there with him. Advanced Auto had nothing to do with anything besides getting my code...'sides Ford pulled the same code off it right after that. Thats all, I wouldn't let them make any suggestions. After I got the code I went straight to Ford and talked it over with them, and they said the same things that I got from other Auto forums.

General consensus is, between Ford and other do-it yourselfers, what I mentioned above.

Last edited:

pimp-daddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The canisters they are probably talking about are the EVAP canisters. Their main function is strictly emissions control. They take the the fumes that come from the gas tank and filter them through a charcoal canister. On my old dodge i tore them off (accidentaly off-roading) and didn't notice a difference at all in power or anything. I'm not sure where they're located on these trucks. I think mine is right in front of the spare tire. Depending on how strict emissions are where you live you could probably pull the lines off and plug them to prevent vacuum leaks and be just fine. If you have strict emissions though you would probably want to fix it.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I've heard the same thing elsewhere too, but I think I've found a way to be sure where the leak is coming from.

I heard about a *nitrogen pressure test* that can be performed by a ford dealer not far from me. Supposedly they use some kind of special gas cap during the test and pump nitrogen into the fuel line, effectively pressuring the fuel line and the emissions control associated with it as if the truck were running. If theres a leak somewhere, they can find it using this test method.

I'm hoping this is a true test, it would make finding the cause of my troubles so much easier.

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
most of the time on the rangers P1443 will end up being a purge flow sensor problem. But you can buy a kit that comes with new hoses a Cannister purge valve, and a purge flow sensor all as a unit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals