• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Still leaking front crank seal

mmarriott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have replaced the front crank seal 3 times in a 99 ranger 4.0 and still can not keep it from leaking. And it leaks really bad. I believe that it is the seal leaking because there is oil, drips, on the underside of the water pump but no signs of oil above that point. And of course lots of oil below that point and spread out all the way to the front fender well on the driver side. With lots of oil on the power steering fluid cooling fins below the front of the engine etc.
I replaced the harmonic balancer instead of using a repair sleeve because I have not been able to determine where the seal should set in the timing cover and the sleeve does not extend the full length of the balancer shaft. Another thing that seems to happen is as I place the balancer on the crank it seems to be pushing the seal in instead of slipping through it. I’ve oilded both the inside of the seal and the balancer shaft. This last time I set the seal in about three eights of an inch, and noticed that as the balancer went on the seal moved back.
So I’ve been thinking next time I will leave the seal flush with timing cover and let the plastic ring around the balancer seat the seal. I don’t like the idea of the plastic ring rubbing on the seal, but just don’t know what else to do? Does anybody know what that plastic ring is for or just how to do this?

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think you're installing the seal deep enough, it goes in pretty far. The best way to set the correct depth is to use the installation tool. It has a ridge that stops the tools when it contacts the timing cover. You install the seal on the tool, push the tool in, put the washer that comes with the tool over the crank bolt, run in the crank bolt until the lip contacts the front cover.

Here is the tool:

http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/Front-Cover-Aligner-Set-303-093-T74P-6019-A-303-093.htm

The ford seals are a much better design than aftermarket seals.

mmarriott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The seal seems to be in pretty deep, I think about half an inch. I am going to pull the the balancer again tomorrow and see where it is setting, but I am guessing its way in. I did not see a listing for the 99 4.0 on the link for the seal tool?

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That tool has been around since 1974, and is the correct tool for Cologne V-6's. If you want it to stop leaking, get a Ford seal and use that tool.

mmarriott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So it appears I found the problem. The crank is not centered in the timing chain cover. This would explain why the balancer is pushing the seal in as it goes on. There was a reply in the thread about a tool for inserting the seal (good info thanks). Its called a Front Cover Aligner Set 303-093 T74P-6019-A . The name of the tool gave me the idea to measure the crank for center and sure enough it was off. I ordered the tool at http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/Front-Cover-Aligner-Set-303-093-T74P-6019-A-303-093.htm. Hopefully I can get the cover back on and centered it with no leaks in the oil pan to timing cover gasket!!!!!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also inspect the balancer's wear area for a groove. The seal can, after a long time, wear the metal out. Then you need to put a speedi-sleeve on the balancer's sount to fix it.

This is a common cause of repeated front seal leaks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals