• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'92 Ford explorer shot please help

Outlaw_LiftedTricks

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought the explorer not but a couple weeks ago and have had to replace the rear main seal. The trany is in bad shape it wont shift till it red lines, i have to throw it in over drive double tap and back to drive to get it to shift through 2nd, yesterday my reverse went out, and its have a real hard time shifting it will go to 4th but the truck maxes out at 65, before I hear the drive shaft making a faint grinding sound. Should I get a whole new trany, or rebuild it(A4LD stock only has 50,000 miles since last rebuild). I think that its my engine trying to spin the 38" tires i have on there and is taring up my tranny over working it because it red lines barely pushing on the gas to spin the tires, I put 28" on it and its still doing to the same thing can anyone tell me what to do with my truck so I can drive it

Attachments

Outlaw_LiftedTricks

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
also the front axle wont lock its got auto lock hubs but its not engaging, my buttons dont even work I had to take off my transfer case to manually swtich it because it got stuck in 4hi when the hubs unengaged while in 4x4 going up a 70° grade that was fun sliding forever to till I could get it to grab again. how hard will it be to put manual locking hubs and new transver case on so that doesnt happen again?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Manual hubs and transfer case is a bolt-on affair. The hardest part is either getting the wheel bearing tension right or lifting the transfer case up into the vehicle depnding on who you ask.

Of course that assumes you can find the parts. A 1354M with the necessary shift linkage is pretty rare. The manual hubs can be bought new.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals