• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible transmission problems?

warmachine5500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Tras problems? Ranger seems to be misfiring in high gear

The problem vehicle is a 94 Ranger 4.0 4WD. It has about 114K on it. I owned this truck for about 7 years, and never experienced this issue. My uncle owns the truck now as his backup vehicle. He's old and retired, so he doesn't travel far. Or fast for that matter. Yesterday my brother had to borrow the Ranger, as his Blazer is in the shop. He has a about a half hour - 45 minute highway drive to work. It's mostly uphill since the highway travels up a mountain. He reported to me that the truck started shaking while on the highway at around 65 mph.

I looked underneath the front end tonight and everything seems in place. I took it for a drive and I could not replicate the shaking. Even on the highway at 65-75 mph it didn't shake, so I ruled out unbalanced tires. Then I took his route up the mountain. The truck seems to stutter while it's in its highest gear, around 1800-2000 RPM, about 65-70 mph, but ONLY when going up a fairly steep consistent grade. If I give it more gas to make it downshift and bump it up to 3000 or more RPMs, the shaking goes away. The shaking feels like a cylinder is misfiring, but it would do that all the time if that were the case. Not to mention, I have no check engine light at all.

Is this the transmission slipping? 4th gear going out? Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Manual or Automatic? I am going to assume that is it an auto. When you think the transmission is slipping do the RPM's climb. But then you say when going up the hill it acts like it is misfiring. When was the last time it was tuned up? Sounds to me like it is misfiring under a load.

warmachine5500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Automatic. No the RPM's don't climb when it feels like it's slipping. It just stays in 4th gear and chugs/shakes right around the speed/RPM's I mentioned. But only when climbing a hill. I'm not sure when it was last tuned up. I'll pull the plugs and give them a look when I get a chance.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Definately sounds like it needs a tune up.

If the transmission is slipping the RPM's will climb while it is slipping.

warmachine5500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I dumped a bottle of Lucas in the tranny the night that I test drove it. My brother spoke to me today and said it wasn't acting up anymore. I'll check those plugs anyway when I get a chance.

warmachine5500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So this problem kept getting worse. It was beginning to act up in 3rd gear as well, and the bucking got really really bad in 4th. I changed the coil, plug wires, and spark plugs. One of the plugs (number 6 I think - the one nearest the heater core) porcelain was broken near the bottom of the electrode. After changing these the truck does run better, but still feels like it is misfiring in 4th gear. It's not as bad now, but still very noticable. I still don't have any check engine lights. Any more ideas? Fuel filter? Injectors? I'm stumped. Thanks.

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would change the fuel filter, had this happen alot because of fuel filter.

warmachine5500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I will change the fuel filter and report back with my results.

warmachine5500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Installed a new fuel filter and the problem still persists. It idles better than it ever has, and it runs great around town/low speed. But it still seems to misfire in 4th gear. This is really bugging me!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals