• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with alternator guys/gals! Please

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I have decided on a 5.0 swap into my 85 b2 and a c5 converted with c4 internals (so I can keep my t case)
I really can't find anything on weather or not I can use a 5.0l alt with this swap or do I have to stick with the ranger b2 alts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The '85 will have an external voltage regulator, this is called a 1G(generation 1)
The 2Gs had internal regulators, as do the 3Gs, which is what will be on your V8 most likely.

The rewiring is not complicated and losing the external regulator is worth the effort even if no engine swap was being done.

This page will help with the wiring: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/130_amp_alternator_swap.shtml

Also google: ford 1G to 3G alternator swap

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey and do you all have any advice on the 5.0 swap be for I go and start buy-in all of thr things

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Up at the top of the page(below main banner) is the "Tech Articles" link, good page to bookmark.

In the engines & fuel tech: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml

You will find several "been there done that" V8 swap links, go thru them all and mark down those useful little "oh yeas", lol, lots of variables in what you got, '85 B2, and what your putting in, ??, year and model of V8 covers alot of ground for variables.

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Theres not alot of info that I have found useful I haven't found a diagram on where to put the mounts which water pumps are shorter
Also I dont know of a Taurus fan is a pusher or puller or any other fans are pusher fans

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Many e-fans can be either, by reversing the blades or the polarity of the DC motor.

If e-fan is in the engine bay it is a puller type.
A/C condenser fans are usually pusher type since that are outside the engine bay

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there any that you can recommend this is my dd and can have someone drive me to work but would like this done semi fast even if that means no front drive line for a while.
Also I had another set of questions on should I really do c5/c4 hybrid or just go with a aod and get the tv cable adapter so I can have a overdrive trans
Along with what peoples thoughts are on the holly truck avenger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals