• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 ranger, multiple issues

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In order to get the full scope of the problem/problems with my 88 ranger I think I need to start off talking about a different less immediate problem. a few months back I started having a problem with my windshield wipers, radio, and gas gauge simultaneously not working. It happened to me in a sudden rain storm and I had to pull over, didn't know what the issue was so I checked some fuses, that was not the problem. I didn't figure it out right away but noticed that sometimes when I started my truck those 3 functions I mentioned would work and sometimes they wouldn't so for a long time i just made sure to start my truck as many times as needed for them to come on and they would stay on. It wasn't til recently that my truck started having more severe issues sometimes turning off while i was driving it, it never had a problem starting though. Then I realized one day after my tuck would not stay on for more than a couple seconds after starting that it was simply just the position of the key, if I held the key in a certain position my truck would stay on and if in the perfect position my truck would stay on plus the windshield wipers,gas gauge and radio all worked too. During all this I have had intermittent issues with the headlights, I.E flickering,not coming on at all. Now that I got all that out of the way I can talk about what exactly is going on now and what I have tried that has not worked. For the truck dying/key problem I bought a new lock cylinder and replaced it, that was not the problem. So for the past couple weeks a shoelace tied tight to my headlight knob holding the key in a forward position keeps my truck on, take the shoelace off it dies immediately. I have replaced both headlights and the headlight switch and this has not fixed the headlight issue. I think it is worth noting that I noticed one day that punching my steering wheel turns off my truck, and on a few occasions giving the steering column a few hard bumps gets the headlights working, but not nearly reliable enough for me to drive and it is my only vehicle and need it to get me to work. So both issues seem tied to something in the steering column, but I have little to no experience working on vehicles. If anybody can help with any of these issues I would greatly appreciate it.

animal12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the actual ignition switch is down under the dash on the steering colum , I would suspect that if you were to loosen the switch mounting bolts & moved the stitch a bit up or down the colum (I dont remember which way ) to adjust it that could solve your problem.
animal

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals