• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 8.8 & Dana 35 gearing

Catahoula

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I recently picked up front and rear axles from a 91 explorer.
8.8 Ford rear and a Dana 35 front, both with the 3.73 gear ratio Traction Loc rear for my 88 BII
I would like to replace the gearing to maybe 4.56 or something along those lines with lockers ( probably electric but havn't decided ) The way I see it is before I do the actuall swap I need to be done with all the work on these. I am pretty much a novice and was wondering A) is it possible and B) is it real difficult with special tool requirements. I noticed on the parts page that new ring an pinion gears are available. it'll take a little while to get all the $$ together and the original equipment is still in good working order. Long term is suspension Lift and 35" tire set-up. so I want to be. sure to have the proper gearing in place.
Any input will be greatly appreciated!!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
you'll probably want 4.88 or lower with 35's.
check completeoffroad.com for gears and stuff.
hopefully someone will chime in saying i have 35's and ??? gears and it works great.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will probably want to have someone install your gears for you. In a situation like yours, where you are out of the vehicle, probably working on a bench, I could set up an 8.8 and have it all back together in about an hour. There are a couple special tools needed as well as the selective shim kit.

If it was a 9" rear I'd copy the directions for you and say "have at it". It's almost impossible to mess up setting up a 9". The 8.8 is a bit more difficult.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
you'll probably want 4.88 or lower with 35's.
check completeoffroad.com for gears and stuff.
hopefully someone will chime in saying i have 35's and ??? gears and it works great.
5.13 gears and 35x12.50s. It's absolutely perfect with the 2.9L engine, even as a DD (i'd probably say 4.88 is better if you have a 4.0L).

Agreed, axle work dealing with the gears is pretty intricate with many special tools needed. There are links within the FAQ in the Axles section to some sites explaining how to set up gears if you want to learn about it however. :icon_thumby:

Catahoula

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
thanks junkie. If i go with 5.13 the TRSfab is only showing availability on the Dana 35 (reverse) front axle. can someone please explain to me what they mean by "reverse".
is that what I need? The rear dosn't seem to be an issue.

Catahoula

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
ok I did a little research and you can please correct me if I'm wrong.
the "regular" Dana 35 is for rear axles and "reverse" is for the front TTB. And there is some available. however if I run the 235 75 15 with the 5.13 gears prior to buying the tires and lift is there any adverse affects???

bigblockford79

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok I did a little research and you can please correct me if I'm wrong.
the "regular" Dana 35 is for rear axles and "reverse" is for the front TTB. And there is some available. however if I run the 235 75 15 with the 5.13 gears prior to buying the tires and lift is there any adverse affects???
You are somewhat correct, the reverse cut gears are used in High Pinion axles, those which the pinion comes in above the axle centerline. The standard cut gears are for low pinion axles where the pinion is below axle centerline.

Running the 235's with the 5.13's wont necessarily hurt anything mechanically, but is will however destroy your bank account if you commute very far or very often. You will also find out how good your u-joints and balance of your driveshafts are since they will be running close to twice as many revs as with your old gearing. I suggest holding off until gears and tires can be afforded simultaneously.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
totally agree.. don't regear that low till you have tires. i'm going 4.56's and 33's but that's with a 4.0L. i'd say try the regear if you are like me... lol. i just think i can do anything sometimes, but that always gets me in trouble and makes some things cost more for someone to clean up my screwup..

so explorer d35's are the regular? b/c they are low pinon right? i don't have my d35 up here yet to look at

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I run the 4:88's in my Explorer with 35's(Lock-Rights for Lockers)It does well, but I wish it was a touch slower for crawling(nobody had the 5:13's when I did my R&P swap)
You want the reverse cut gears for the FORD Dana 35(front). One thing to remember when installing the R&P(on the 8.8) is one tooth on the ring will have to be ground down a bit to clear the center pin(Ring gear is thick and it wont clear it, I had to do this with my 4:56' and the 4:88's).
If you have never done a gear swap, you might want to find someone that has to help with it(or send it out to a shop). Its not a bolt up and go kind of procedure(not saying you cant do it). You need a press(the bearings are pressed on and off), a good dial micrometer(this is what we always called it)to set up the backlash, some big wrenches(need to crush the new crush sleeve in the 8.8). A good understand of how they actually work goes a long way as well.
Not saying you can't do it(like I said before), but gears (installs) can be a real PITA. Keep us informed of how it goes.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals