• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap q's

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Have you done the swap already?

What all doesn't work?

I have a '90 BII. I found a '90 Ranger 4.0. I swapped in the 4.0, and it was 100% plug and play. I didn't splice a single wire. (Save for the power windows/doors. My BII has power windows, but the ranger didnt, so obviously I had to do some splicing there. :icon_twisted:)

RayRayBaby1990

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well i went early this morning grabbed harness and ecu out of a 1990 ranger with a 4.0 just got done installing the harness.....everything is kicking on like it should.....i got lucky found one with auto....4x4 power windows and locks....so everything inside works.....now its just a waiting game for the motor to get back from the machine shop....should be the end of next week.....so im gonna be bored until then i guess.....course there are still a couple things i need to go grab from the yard that i forgot today....the throttle cable....cruise box.....small stuff like that. I gotta run some new tranny cooler lines cause i noticed mine were leaking.....i had her trans rebuilt 3 weeks age....already got the lift on.....rims and tires.....people around here wont know what to think when we pull up in this frankenstein hell wagon he he he.....thanks to you all for answering my questions....hopefully one day ill be able to return the favor

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well i went early this morning grabbed harness and ecu out of a 1990 ranger with a 4.0 just got done installing the harness.....everything is kicking on like it should.....i got lucky found one with auto....4x4 power windows and locks....so everything inside works.....now its just a waiting game for the motor to get back from the machine shop....should be the end of next week.....so im gonna be bored until then i guess.....course there are still a couple things i need to go grab from the yard that i forgot today....the throttle cable....cruise box.....small stuff like that. I gotta run some new tranny cooler lines cause i noticed mine were leaking.....i had her trans rebuilt 3 weeks age....already got the lift on.....rims and tires.....people around here wont know what to think when we pull up in this frankenstein hell wagon he he he.....thanks to you all for answering my questions....hopefully one day ill be able to return the favor
good deal man, sounds like you got what you needed!

RayRayBaby1990

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I hate to bring this back to the top but I'm finally getting back around to this truck. Do I use the block/bellhousing spacer ?? and is using the 2.9 flexplate ok ??

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flexplate is the same. You will need the 4.0 starter though

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Haha don't use a 2.9 starter on it! I learned that the hard way. It's to big and don't work. You'll love the 4.0 swap it's awesome

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals