• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

made a fluid extractor

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
so I have been noticing my truck shifting funny lately. when cruising at 55-60 and I get to a hill, instead of it downshifting like normal it kinda shutters into 3rd gear. so I got some lucas and I was gonna put some of that in when I found the trans fluid is already over filled. its about 1-1/2 inches above the hash marks on the dip stick. I remember when I bought the truck a few months back that I only checked the fluid when the truck was off and never really checked it again after that. so now I found some ideas online on how to syphon the fluid through the filler tube. I got my contraption made and just wanted to show a picture of it. I am going to try it out today and will let you all know the outcome. its pretty simple but should work in theory.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep, it works. I use that system to bleed my brakes and clutch. Connect to a vacuum source and let the engine do the work. I use a mason jar with air fittings screwed into and siliconed to the lid, then the hoses don't get all wrapped up when the lid is tightened.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah it should work. I'm fine with just using an air source rather ran a vacuum line from the truck. murphys law is always pretty close to me so the less I mess with the better. I seen one guy took an air gun and just angled it into the line and it worked good enough to syphon power steering fluid. it looks like I need to get about 3-5 quarts out. maybe more since I am putting lucas in it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
then the hoses don't get all wrapped up when the lid is tightened.
I thought about this statement and maybe I should try spinning the jar......lol.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I use a gallon jug pump with hoses on it or a squeeze bulb siphon or I borrow the wife's turkey baster when she is not looking. I've even used a wet/dry vac.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
looks like one of your hoses goes all the way to the bottom, unless thats just a reflection. i hope that's not the end you plan on hooking to vacuum.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've done a few projects that I could have used something like that but couldn't find a suitable one. Filling the 5 speed transmission on my Ranger was always a task...until I learned it can be done from above the vehicle...

For brakes I've always used the "one-man" bleeder kits that looks similar but only use one hose...I would imagine you could use the one to siphone the fluids with a sealed bottle...hmmmmm...:icon_thumby:

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
looks like one of your hoses goes all the way to the bottom, unless thats just a reflection. i hope that's not the end you plan on hooking to vacuum.
Just a reflection. Both hoses only go in about an inch. I tried it yesterday just by sucking on the hose and it worked but it wore me out quick. I got about an inch of fluid in the jar and gave up. so today I am going to use our shop air compressor, its about 100 gallons or so. Its big enough to run a 40,000 lb car lift and work on rv's so it should be able to help siphon some fluid.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
worked like a charm. I was able to cut a slit in the end of the tube and use an air gun with a rubber tip to blow through the end and make a vacuum. I was able to fill up that bottle within a 10-15 seconds once I got the nozzle in just right. Worked great so I'm gonna hold on to this little contraption for the future. Would be great for anything including power steering and anything else that doesn't have a drain plug or even if you just need to remove a little if you over filled something. I'm happy since I didn't have to drop the trans pan and deal with much longer job. I was able to remove about 1-2 quarts and add lucas all within about 30 minutes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals