• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Location

khkeener

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V-6
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know where the FTP sensor is located on the B3000? I assume it would be the same for most years though I have a '96. I've search my Haynes manual and its not even mentioned.

I have a Chilton's CD that has it referenced in a vacuum hose drawing and it seems to be near the fuel tank but I can be for certain.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
it is either in a hard plastic line coming off of the tank, or possibly in a rubber line but i doubt it. It might also be in the tank, but im not sure on that model year.

torch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
If it is the same as the 2000, then it's in the fuel tank. The directions for removal from the FSM are:

1. remove the fuel tank.

Caution: the fuel tank pressure sensor must be disengaged from the fuel tank before it can be removed. Failure to do so can cause damage to the fuel tank pressure sensor or the fuel tank.

2. Remve the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor.
3. Disconnect the electrical connector.
4. Press down and rotate the FTP sensor counter-clockwise and remove it from the fuel tank.
5. install in reverse order of removal.
6. Perform Leak Test.
7. Perform Evaporative Emission Running Loss Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle Test.

Looking at the troubleshooting section, it could be associated with a P0452 (input below maximum) or a P0453 (input above maximum) code. (Again, all this is from the 2000 Factory Service Manual. I have no idea if it is the same for your 96!)

Possible causes for the 0452 include:
-Contamination. Sensor is completely submerged in fuel. Fix is to drain tank and refill to proper level.
- low voltage. Requires a scan tool. Voltage less than 0.22v on the tool. If so then a jumper must be installed between the vref and ftp at the connector. If voltage is then 4.0 to 6.0 v, the sensor is faulty. If not, then measure the voltage with a tester at the connector. If the measured voltage is 4.0 to 6.0 v then the PCM is faulty, fi not then there's a short in the wiring somewhere.

for 0453, possible causes are open FTP wire, short to vref or power, damaged FTP sensor or PCM. Again, a scan tool is required for some of these tests. First test the PCM with the scan tool. Then check that the FTP voltage is greater than 4.5v. Disconnect the connector and measure the FTP voltage. If it is above 10.5 volts then there is a short to power. To find that you need to disconnect the PCM and install a breakout box to measure the voltages between PCM test pin 62 (ftp) and PCM test pin 103 (PWR GND) if the voltage is less than 10.5v, then the PCM is faulty. If higher, then the short is somewhere in the wiring harness.

If the FTP voltage was below 10.5 volts then attach a jumper wire between the SIG RTN and FTP at the FTP connector if the FTP voltage is below 0.10v then measure the voltage between VREF and SIG RTN to make sure it is between 4.0 and 6.0v. If it is, disconnect the PCM, install a breakout box and measure the resistance between PCM test pin 62 (FTP) and PCM test pin 90 (VREF). If the resistance is greater than 10 ohms, then replace the FTP sensor. If not, then there is a short in the wiring harness between FTP SIG and VREF.

If the FTP voltage was above 0.10v, then disconnect the PCM and install a breakout box. Measure the resistance of FTP circuit between PCM test pin 62 and the FTP sensor harness connector. If the resistance is more than 5.0 ohms, then there is damage to the wire in the FTP harness somewhere. If less than 5 ohms, then measure the resistance of the SIG RTN between PCM test pin 91 and the FTP connector. If resistance is too high then the problem is damage to that wire. If resistance is less than 5 ohms then measure the resistance between PCM test pin 62 (FTP) and PCM test pin 90 (VREF). If the resistance is greater than 10K ohms then replace the PCM. If lower than 10K ohms, then there is a short in the harness between FTP and VREF.

FTP wire is Red/Pink
SIG RTN wire is Grey/Red
VREF wire is Br/White.

TheStepsideRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Ftp

Does anyone have a picture of where the fuel tank pressure sensor is located/what it looks like? i think i have found mine but im not sure

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals