• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 2.9 runs like crap!

fyresq

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 2.9 5 speed 4x4 180k that won't run right. The down and dirty is this - I've tried everything that I can think of so I need some suggestions.

The truck has fuel pressure (30-40 constant) and will start but runs at ~500rpm, wants to die and you can't rev it - like it's starving for fuel. If you play with the throttle for a while it will kick open and run at wide open throttle but within 10 seconds will drop down to 500 rpm again even with the accelerator mashed to the floor.

Things done so far:
New fuel with stabilizer and amsoil additive for any old fuel plus injector cleaner
The truck now reads code 11 - system ok
replaced map/maf sensor
replaced TPS sensor
replaced Fuel pressure regulator (reads 30-40 psi)
replaced IAC sensor and motor
replaced fuel filter
replaced distributor cap, wires, and plugs
I've tried to check for vacuum leaks and sprayed carb/injector cleaner all over to see if the idle would pick up due to leak - nothing

I've thought of the coil (has aftermarket autometer on it), cat (but the idle surges up and down), injectors (but why does it all of a sudden go to wide open throttle if they were clogged?)

I'm tired of throwing parts and money at this thing, any suggestions other than insuring at full coverage and setting it on fire?

I've searched this and several other forums and there is no firm answer to my issue

Please help! :icon_confused:

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
Welcome. Sounds like you got a headache. It may be an internal computer problem to me or a bad connection somewhere.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals