• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need advice choosing vcm for a4ld swap

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I have a 86 ranger(2.9l w/ a4ld) with a bad trans. I picked up a used trans from a 94 ranger w/86,xxx miles in good shape minus the crack in the bell housing around the starter bosses, from work for $50. Now I know I have to change the vcm,so I grabed the '94 along with all the wires that run from the vcm to the trans. Then relised that the 94 vcm will not work in the 86 due to at least the o2 sensors. So I neep help finding a vcm for a two silonoid trans, 2wd, and will work with the 86 2.9l oh and if some one can tell me what pin,the extra wire coming from the new trans goes to that would be great.,

jhammel85

I think you can just skip all of that and change the Valve body from the 86 to the 93 trans to use in your 86 if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could but the reverse gear dosent work once the trans is warmed up, and it keeps jumping in and out of third untill it gets up to about 55-60 then it just skips third and goes into overdrive. And what i been reading the high-reverse valve might be bad and i dont want to throw an unknown part in a known good trans

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals