• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1-2" suspension lift . . .

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
just making sure . . you can do a 1 or 2" suspension lift with no problems created other than possibly needing longer shocks right?? I run full size shocks anyway . . but am I correct here?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On what? I put a 2" body lift on my BII last week and had no "problems", other than having to fab some radiator brackets and an engine ground extension that didn't come with the kit.
(that is if you don't concider having to cut old mount bolts off because they rusted solid, as a problem)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
suspension lift, varies depending on your personal truck... might need brakelines extended, will need alignment. it just varies

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
For an RBV like your BII, you will need camber bushings to correct the camber after the lift. drop brackets are recomended for 2" and up, think rough country makes them for the 2.5" lift but camber bushings should correct the camber issue just fine for 1"-2".
Also I think its rough country that makes the radius arm drop brackets for the 2" lifts, once again recomended not required.
I installed the skyjacker 2.5" lift springs in the front of my 86 ranger(Same TTB system) and only needed the camber bushings. stock brake lines work fine with the 2.5" lift.
A drop pitman arm is not required, and my stock shocks have enough travel..
Hope that helps.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
drop pitman arm not required... but if your steering is jacked up at the arm and not level, you will need it...

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
drop pitman arm not required... but if your steering is jacked up at the arm and not level, you will need it...
mine with 2" spacers needs a drop pitman bad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
mine with 2" spacers needs a drop pitman bad
My 86ranger does not need a drop pitman! it rides fine down the road....
The bump steer is the same as stock! (floats like a caddy)
And my Ranger hit trails untill the creek killed it! YOU DO NOT NEED A DROP PITMAN!!!

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
My '84 sits very well now, doesn't droop at all and sits higher than many B2s posted here. Perhaps the springs were different in '84. Anyway, I may go with just a 1" lift in the front. I really don't want to have to modify anything . . too much other work to do on other vehicles :)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I just said that IF your steering looks all jacked up you'll need a pitman arm. It's possible he will. For some reason different trucks take different lifts different. Idk why... But that's how it seems to work

buzz88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
2in lift

Don't quote me on this but after i put my 2in suspension trailmaster lift on my 88 B2, the rear driveshaft went bad I think the angle of the lift caused it, I had a lift with the springs, camber bushings, alignment and add a leaf in the back which ended up coming out later, didn't really need the added leaf.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I understand everyone's concerns and they are valued. I'm not looking to offroad and like I said, mine sits well even now. So I think I'm going to lift it about an 1" or 1 1/2" and see if I can get away with no problems.

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A slight lift for my 90 was as follows:

Front:
I installed progressive rate front Explorer coils resulting in a 1.5" lift. The spring rate on these is a tad too lively for my liking though...in hindsight I would probably opt for some super heavy duty (non-progressive) coils and lift it with washers.
Replaced tall sway bar D-bushings with short ones (Energy Suspension 9.5161G-greasable). This realigns the sway bar arms back to almost perpendicular to the axles.
Replaced sway link rubber with poly bushings.
The steering linkage angle is about 2 degrees up towards the pitman which sucked the toe in by 1/16" overall.
Camber on l/f & r/f is -.04 & +.01 degrees (no camber bushing change-out needed). I thought one of the sides was whacked but apparently my method of measuring with a gravity degree gauge was flawed. The alignment shop said toe, camber and caster measurements were perfect.

Rear:
Tuff Country short overload leaf installed in the middle of the spring pack resulting in rear lift of 1.75". May need 2-2.5 degree pinion shims between the spring pack and spring perches.

Bilstein HD shocks and new BFG Long-Trails (235/75/15's) on all 4 corners.

The car sits and tracks down the road perfectly for this old fart. May install some 1.25" wheel spacers on the rear to widen the track and get a beefier rear sway bar to improve cornering stability. This is primarily an on-roader.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals