• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump problems.

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
On my 87 broncoII, it keeps eating fuel pumps like there free. I have switched the 87 style pump to an 89 and done away with the pump on the frame(I had one on a parts truck when the last one went out) It will work fine for a wile and than quit. I can get out wingle wire's and all that than it will work for a wile longer. But they end up going completley out after a wile. I have looked and have found no shorts or lose grounds. Does any body have an ideal what would be causeing this? I really need to get this going befor winter hit's. My s10 will be the suck in snow.lol

jhammel85

I know you said that you went over the wiring but I would go over it again. Maybe even replace all of them. How's the ground that goes from the battery to the chassis to the front of the engine block? Mine was bad but not gone and caused a few problems for me.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Fuel filter? Has it been changed recently?

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have not check the ground from the battery to the chassis I will do that. And the filter is new. allso does any one have a wireing diagrame of the fule pump

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Maybe... What's it worth to you?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Here is what I do have. I don't have an electronic version, but here is the best pic I can get of my paper manual.

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks goin to get started on this tomarrow. Got a paint date for my s10 so I need my bronco running. I kno give me crap over the s10 but it's my baby that I take great care of. As for the bII its my baby to. but the step child that gets beat haha. Considering this thing has around 400.000 on it. 2 engines and some frount end parts been a good one but bout wore out.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Did you remove the fuel accumulator (roundish plastic box, in the fuel line before the pump on the frame)?

I don't really know what to tell you, the pumps are not wired differently so that should not be your problem.

It sounds like you are using stuff from parts trucks...not new parts, right? If that's the case, that might be part of your problem... replacing broken parts with used parts sometimes doesn't work if the used parts are worn out...

DL BOGART

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 V/6
Transmission
Manual
Check the plug in on the ground near the battery, maybe even take it out and solder the 2 wires together. seen lots of fords including my ranger have no fuel because these work loose or corrode.

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Little update on this. Well sorta of nothing done to it yet update due to work and tryin to get moved outa my mom and dads. But im goin to try the ideals you guys have gave me. I have a new pump in the pass seat waitin to get put in.(im hopeing this weekend soon as I get my interior done in the s10) Thanks for all the great help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals