• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TFI Ignition module relocation questions

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 BII eddie bauer 2.9L , just put in an M50D. I'm wanting to relocate my TFI Ignition module according to the tech sheets. Already found a heatsink bracket from an aerostar. About the wireing, the tech sheet said :
"A trip to Radio Shack may be an easier route. They sell wire looms that will protect from any radio frequency interference and magnetic interference."

I went to my local radio shack and they looked at me like I was an idiot ( been getting alot of those looks lately, hmmmm.....). They had no idea what I was talking about, but had some nice speaker wire.....:bawling:

Does anyone have a source to get this wire? The JY wasn't thrilled with the idea of salvaging the harness wires seperately.

Also: Where do I get "heatsink grease"?

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about the other stuff, as I haven't done a TFI relocation before, but I do know where you can get heatsink grease. I do computer work for a living, and I use that stuff all the time on computer processors.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=85&name=Thermal-Compound-Grease

You don't need the expensive stuff. The cheap stuff should be perfect for what you're doing. If you don't want to order off the internet, just go down to your local computer shop and ask them. If they're worth anything they'll probably let you have some free or for a very low price.

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
How many wires total are required to be extended in this operation?

You can buy multi-conductor shielded cable which would be rather nice for this. To explain what this crap is...:

All it really is is several wires braided together, then wrapped in either a woven shield or foil shield, then everything is encased in one outer jacket.

I don't know any trade names for the crap but depending on how many wires you need and how long a piece you need, I may be able to snag a chunk from the shop for ya ;-)

I can also provide part numbers and URL's if that would be more your cup of tea.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, it looks like only three wires. I'm not sure exactly how long yet, that depends on where the harness will allow me to mount to the fire wall, or preferably the fender. The problem is I know nothing about RFI shielding, and exactly how it is to be used. I also didn't look closely enough to the shielded wiring from the heatsink doner. I need some expert advice on this one......

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
i did this relocation, however i did not use any fancy wire or anything. no issues that i can relate to the relocation either.

it is six wires if i recall right. depending on where you relocate to depends on how long you need to lengthen wires, but if you have any pointed question about this, feel free to message me.

and the grease you speak of is dielectric grease. you can buy this at any local napa on the chemical wall. red can if i remember right. each new TFI module should come with a small packet as well

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are six wires in the harness going to the TFI module in the harness, however, they don't look like they need extended in order to mount onto the fire wall. It's the 3 tabs on the TFI that plug into the distributor that require wires built up to extend from the new location to the distributor.

I read somewhere else (and then forgot to mark where) that alot of radio frequency interferance can be picked up from these new wires, and really screw up the module's signals. This is apparently why these new wires require shielding.

Any experts out there that can tell me this is or isn't REALLY needed? I just like to do things as best I can in the first place, so i don't have to go back and figure out what is wrong later, you know?

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
There are six wires in the harness going to the TFI module in the harness, however, they don't look like they need extended in order to mount onto the fire wall. It's the 3 tabs on the TFI that plug into the distributor that require wires built up to extend from the new location to the distributor.

I read somewhere else (and then forgot to mark where) that alot of radio frequency interferance can be picked up from these new wires, and really screw up the module's signals. This is apparently why these new wires require shielding.

Any experts out there that can tell me this is or isn't REALLY needed? I just like to do things as best I can in the first place, so i don't have to go back and figure out what is wrong later, you know?
if your going to relocate the tfi, i'd say to relocate it somewhere away from the firewall.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals