• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radio help

90Ranger2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
ive got a 1990 ranger ext cab 4wd 5speed 2.9l and i replaced an aftermarket sony stereo that was in it when i bought it with a pioneer. problem is, the guy that had it before hard wired it in. as to say the wires that went into the harness which plugged into the factory stereo got cut off from the factory harness. so what the guy did was look up which wire went to what an went from there. well when i got the truck, i had to do the same to install the pioneer an when i got it installed i started it up an due to having the battery undone i had to reset the stations an all. well when i shut the truck off an turned it back on, the stereo reset itself an has since done that everytime i start it up. i asked my dad what may be wrong an he said the hot wire. well i looked it up an sites told me it was the yellow wire, i checked it an it was connected to the aftermarket harness, so i once again turned truck on an off an once again it was reset. so if anyone can give some advice how to fix this it would be much appreciated. i hate havin to reset everything everytime i leave somewhere.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.modifiedlife.com/1990-ford-ranger-pickup-truck-car-stereo-wiring-diagram/

Mine isn't a 1990, but I think you need to connect it to the "Battery Constant" wire that remains hot at all times, to retain its memory. And you also need the "Accessory Switched" wire is hot only when the ignition is in RUN or ACC, so your radio shuts off when you turn OFF the ignition key. Yup, 2 power sources! Perhaps you accidentally used the same "switched" wire for both?

90Ranger2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
so are you sayin i need to connect both the Battery Constant and Accessory Switched wire to the same wire on the stereo harness? or connect each wire to 2 different wires?

90Ranger2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
i got it thanks to the link. thanks for the help.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like you had your hot constant and hot switched switched...

90Ranger2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
after looking at the site from the link above an looking at the wire diagram for the stereo i found out thats exactly what happened.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals