• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 3.0 Ranger Trans Whine

oskarol

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a 1999 manual transmission 3.0L ford ranger with 180,000km. When I took it for a test ride, everything seemed good with a very slight whine in 5th gear while accelerating (to be perfectly honest, I was used to a loud old car, so perhaps I only heard the noise in 5th, but it may have been present in other gears). I decided to buy it as the price was right.

Unfortunately, when the car was delivered (after the purchase), I took it for a spin and noticed the whine was present in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. Not in 4th gear. The sound is much louder when accelerating and almost non existant when decelerating. The sound can almost be drowned out by opening a window or turning up the radio, so it isn't seriously that loud, but definitely noticeable. The sound is a similar whine to old manual trannys while reversing.

I checked the manual fluid level and noticed that it was low (over 1 litre too low and it was dark). I topped it off, but didnt change the fluid which was in there. I am planning on doing that this weekend (the vehicle is not currently being driven). Any idea if the transmission is toast? Do you think I could still get any life out of it? I was planning a long trip with it... should I reconsider? Is there any hope that a fluid change would help?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals