• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 not working

justindpenrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2001 4.0 5 speed. When start the truck both 4wd lights come on then go out. When I turn the switch nothing happens at all. No 4 Hi or Lo, ECM and GEM are new as well as replaced every fuse. Am I missing somthing?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4WD lights coming on with the key is a Bulb test, nothing to do with 4WD part, just FYI.

2001 doesn't use computer or GEM for 4WD, hope you didn't replace them because of this issue :)
It has a 4x4 control module
It is behind passenger side kick panel

And these were known failure points

And is most likely your problem

But just confirm fuse#13 in engine bay is good, 20amp
And fuses #5, #10, #11 in cab fuse panel are good

If shift motor was bad 4WD light would flash because motor wasn't moving when 4x4 control module sent it power.

And with the 2001 system all you really have is Power(fuses), 4x4 control module, and shift motor, so............

Need a 7mm socket to remove it I think

2001-2005 Rangers, Mazda B-series and explorer 4x4s used the same module, not engine specific
Wrecking yards are best source but............make sure it is warrantied, lol, wrecked vehicles get fried electrics often

Try this part number: 1L54-7H417

Last edited:

justindpenrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks

Thanks for the response. No I didn't change them because of that, I changed them because we had a gully washer and apparently I had a leak. Well it cause theft light pretty much everything electrical not to work. I've got nearly all of that straightened out other than the 4x4 not working and the gas hand. I checked all the fuses and power at the switch. Once again the answer is appreciated.

justindpenrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4WD lights coming on with the key is a Bulb test, nothing to do with 4WD part, just FYI.

2001 doesn't use computer or GEM for 4WD, hope you didn't replace them because of this issue :)
It has a 4x4 control module
It is behind passenger side kick panel

And these were known failure points

And is most likely your problem

But just confirm fuse#13 in engine bay is good, 20amp
And fuses #5, #10, #11 in cab fuse panel are good

If shift motor was bad 4WD light would flash because motor wasn't moving when 4x4 control module sent it power.

And with the 2001 system all you really have is Power(fuses), 4x4 control module, and shift motor, so............

Need a 7mm socket to remove it I think

2001-2005 Rangers, Mazda B-series and explorer 4x4s used the same module, not engine specific
Wrecking yards are best source but............make sure it is warrantied, lol, wrecked vehicles get fried electrics often

Try this part number: 1L54-7H417
I noticed that at the end of the part number on my module that there is an AC at the end of mine. Does this matter or can I get one that's different at the end?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's the version number so can be anything as far as I know.

Here are some of the interchangeable numbers for that module
1L54-7H417-AB, 1L54-7H417-AC, 1L54-7H417-AD, 1L54-7H417-AE, 1L5Z-7E453-AC, 1L24-7H473-AH

Last edited:

rangerpilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Manual
I think I have a similar problem. Just had the transfer case replaced with a rebuild and the shop said it was engaging when they tested. I hear the electronic sound in the dash that it is trying to send the signals to shift but nothing happens. Isn't there a shift motor bolted to the transfer case? How can I test? I will look at the other things mentioned above as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think I have a similar problem. Just had the transfer case replaced with a rebuild and the shop said it was engaging when they tested. I hear the electronic sound in the dash that it is trying to send the signals to shift but nothing happens. Isn't there a shift motor bolted to the transfer case? How can I test? I will look at the other things mentioned above as well.

1999 Ranger 4WD is different, it used the GEM(module) for 4WD control, and an Electronic shift control module(box with 2 relays inside).

The shift motor on the transfer case is a DC motor, so, like power window motors, it will turn clockwise if 1 wire is 12volt and the other wire a ground, and then turn counter-clockwise, if that is reversed, 12volt wire is now a ground and ground wire is now 12volt

When you select 4WD, the GEM activates the 2 relays, one sets Ground to shift Motor the other sets 12volts.
So motor turns a gear that has contacts on it and also turns the shift rod in the transfer case.
The contacts on the gear "tell" the GEM that the motor is turning and also tells it when shift rod gets to the correct position for 4hi, or 4low, or 2WD
These contacts tell the GEM the position of shift rod so it knows which way to turn the shift motor when driver changes current position.
And the contacts are what run the 4WD lights on the dash.

On a working system if you are in 2WD and select 4hi there will be a delay from your selection until the 4hi light comes on, thats the time lag for the motor to turn the shift rod into the correct position and the contacts to line up.
A flashing 4WD light means GEM is not getting correct contact confirmation, so either motor is not moving or there is a wiring problem.

You can remove shift motor and test it with 12v and ground.

rangerpilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks!!!

The lights never come on (except for start up) and do not flash. I will see if I can test the shift motor. Also my hubs were recently replaced but I don't see that affecting anything.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks!!!

The lights never come on (except for start up) and do not flash. I will see if I can test the shift motor. Also my hubs were recently replaced but I don't see that affecting anything.

No lights(when/after shifting) could be Fuse 3 in engine fuse box, 20amp

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals